Why Sheepskin is a Perfect Baby Shower Gift
When my baby was born my sister already had two of her own children so she was way ahead and she bought me a baby’s sheepskin for my baby shower gift. It turned out to be the most useful baby gift I was given.
This is a sheepskin rug specially made for babies. It is completely natural with no chemicals or dyes so everything is guaranteed to be completely safe.
I was given mine 15 years ago and I still have the very same sheepskin on my son’s bed. It's as good now as it was when it was new.
This is how they work:
- The natural fibres are soft and spongy so when you lie your baby on them, the sheepskin gently gives it a massage. I used to lay my precious newborn on it naked (apart from his nappy) and he would be so completely free and comfortable and just be very relaxed after just a few moments of freedom.
- They are full of natural lanolin, which is very good for new soft skin.
- The lanolin makes them self-cleaning, any spillage just rolls off – at the most all you need do is sponge them down if. So there is no real need to wash them, although they are washable.
- Another thing that is very important about these is that the fleece gently moves around the baby’s body and therefore never gets clogged up, tangled, or uncomfortable.
- Because it is made up of lambs wool and nothing else, it is very soft and not at all itchy or irritating to the skin.
- A sheepskin is both warm and cool. Your baby will never feel clammy or sweaty on a hot day or cold on a cold day.
The company recommend a shorn fleece for very young babies and that is what I have got. But they also have unshorn ones for older babies and toddlers and these are also very comfortable and versatile.
Unpacking a New Sheepskin
Here's a lovely family showing you their new Kaiser sheepskin coming out of the bag.
I have picked out a Kaiser sheepskin from Germany because they get great reviews and they are specifically made for babies and they have used no chemicals of any kind and they are completely naturally processed.
Organic cotton beautiful gift. A hooded tower is extremely useful. I loved mine. Made in the USA.
They are amazing!
It’s definitely a quality item. After all these years my sheepskin is still so thick, soft, and so full of lanolin that it doesn’t get dirty, spills simply run off it.
I sponge it every now and then with a little warm water and give it an airing. I have never needed to wash it. You can see a photo of mine below.
My sheepskin has been so very useful. For example you can line the inside of your buggy with it and it becomes a very comfy place to sit and relax, the same thing happens with a cot. Or you can lay it on the floor to make an instant bed, put it in a playpen, or lay it on your own bed when it’s time for breastfeeding.
I found it so useful when I took my baby on a long journey, I put it in the baby car seat.
Another thing that helped us both so much was that it was very comforting to my baby when I had to leave him with his baby-minder, because the fleece becomes part of the babies life and comfort zone.
They are small in size approximately 3 feet long or 80 to 90 cm but as my baby grew we just used it differently.
It is remarkable to think that I still use it years later to make his pillow more comfortable when he has trouble settling down for the night. It still relaxes him.
I can highly recommend a sheepskin as a wonderful baby shower gift or for any mum who would like to pamper her baby.
I would award it a resounding 10 out of 10.
Here are other really lovely ideas for a baby shower gift. Or to treat your own little bundle of joy.
Here's another really lovely idea for a baby shower gift, or treat your own little bundle of joy.
These organic wooden rattles are beautifully made in the USA. For slightly older babies, but they do grow so quickly. They are perfect for babies who can hold things as they size fits their little hands well. The teething ring is a perfect size. the egg cup will com into its own when baby has passed the first 6 months, but it is so beautiful that it makes a really lovely ornament for the nursery.
The detail of these charming toys are a delight. they are beautifully finished to a smooth silky feel. They are a simple natural toy. We must do everything we can not to buy plastic things for our children as they are much happier playing with natural materials such as wood and wool for example.
Here's another article about Breast Feeding Advice and more baby shower gifts.
Who are you buying a sheepskin for your own baby or for another mum? Please do leave a comment. Thank you so much for your visit.