Chorizo & Cheddar Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Chorizo and Cheddar Breakfast Burritos are a quick and easy way to get breakfast on the table or with you on the go. They're also great for overnight guests because they can be easily made the night before and then quickly re-heated in the morning.
If you've never tasted Chorizo, it's a pork sausage that is a orange-red color and spiced with paprika and a variety of other spices. It has it's own flavor, but is generally not spicy and also very affordable to purchase. The Chorizo I use in this recipe is the Mexican soft sausage Chorizo that is encased, not the cured chorizo.
The cheddar pairs well with the chorizo, adding a creamy and delicious flavor. If you like things hot, you can switch out the cheddar for pepper jack or another spicy cheese. Also feel free to add other additions like chives, green onions, sweet peppers, potatoes, hot peppers, etc. By using this basic recipe, you can make a variety of burritos that suit your taste.
- 2 Mexican Chorizo Sausages, encased
- 3 Mild Cheddar Cheese, slices or shredded
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 4 Small-Medium Flour Tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
Let's Get Cooking!
- Place your skillet on a medium-low burner and remove your Chorizo from the casing. Put the Chorizo in the pan, and begin to break it into pieces with a spatula, or spoon. It will need to cook for 7 minutes.
- While the Chorizo is cooking, beat the 4 eggs and spices in a bowl until mixed.
- After the Chorizo has cooked for 7 minutes or until done, you can drain the grease or keep it in the pan. I personally keep the grease, but it is your choice. Then add your eggs and continue to cook on medium low, until the eggs begin to set.
- When the eggs are cooked to your liking, cover them with the cheese and put a lid over the pan. Keep the lid on the pan until the cheese is melted. Then remove the lid and pan from the burner.
- Heat your tortillas and then divide your egg and cheese mixture in fourths. Place one fourth of the mixture on each warm tortilla. Fold your tortillas into a burrito and serve whole, or cut in half. Enjoy~
Cook the meat.
Beat the eggs.
Add eggs to chorizo and cook until the eggs are set.
Add your sliced or shredded cheese.
Put a lid on your pan.
When cheese is melted, take off the lid, & divide your mixture into fourths. Heat your tortillas and spread them out flat.
Put a fourth of the mixture on each tortilla and fold the sides in.
Fold the bottom of the tortilla into the middle.
Flip your tortilla over and your finished!
© 2013 Penny Pincher