- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Khashlama - Armenian Food Recipe
Lately, I have been looking into my genealogical tree and searching the place of birth of my grand, grand parents. It is very interesting journey that brings me closer to my roots and reveals forgotten traditions passed through generations.
Today I will be sharing with you a recipe of a meal called Khashlama. For those who do not like lamb because of specific smell and taste, I assure you that after preparing this dish you will be surprised how tender and tasty lamb can be.
I have seen many recipes of Khashlama online and 99% of them are wrong. It was very weird to see that many prepare the meal with beef; some of them even add potatoes. Let's not forget or deny the fact that the Armenians, we are "mountain" people and our ancestors didn't have cows and potatoes (potatoes came into everyday diet later around 1800-1900). At that time the only meat available was of lambs and goats.
- 1kg lamb meat
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 3-4 pepper peas
- 3-4 onions
- 1 glass of red wine
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 4-5 bell pepper
- Cut the lamb into small pieces (5-6cm each) and wash it well.
- Chop the vegetables in slices.
- Place the ingredients into the pot (except the spices) in the following layers: meat, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes. You can make more layers by following the above example. Then add a glass of red wine and water (if needed). I usually do not add water but I always watch my food while cooking.
- Place it on low heat and let it boil for about 1 hour.
- Add pepper peas, salt and any other spices you like. Let it on fire for another 25 minutes.
- In the meantime chop the parsley into small pieces (0.5-1 cm) and add it into the pot at the last 5 minutes of cooking.
|Serving size: 4|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Protein 45 g||90%|
|Cholesterol 82 mg||27%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- You can fry the meat and the onion before boiling it.
- You can replace wine with beer (something that makes the meat very soft).
- You can add potatoes.
But the Original Khashlama is the one described above MADE WITH LAMP
KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU DO NOT ADD WINE OR BEER THEN COOKING TIME WILL DOUBLE.
While Khashlama is being cooked check out my other articles
- Armenian Traditional Christmas Recipe - Anushabur or...
This Christmas and New Year dessert recipe is being prepared traditionally by Native Armenians. Anushapur is similar to Noah's Asura Pudding dessert. Both dishes are directly associated with Noah.
- Armenian Recipe - Tahini ROLL
This recipe of Tahini Roll or Bread comes directly from famous ancient Armenian Cuisine. It was cooked in Constantinople (Istanbul) long before Armenian Genocide. It is easy to deliver... Try it
- MOVIES - Greek Mythology Movies
Find out everything about greek mythology movies. They are interesting to watch and worthy to mention.
- Recipe - How to Cook Beef Brain
Beef brain is delicious and exquisite dish. Many people around the world are cooking beef brain using different techniques. This recipe is probably "the king of them all". Try it !!
- Criadillas Recipe - Bull Fries
The recipe is interesting and easy to execute. The taste of this dish will make you include it into your favorite food list. Cook Bull fries using the simple recipe below.