- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Easy Peasy No Bake Cookies Recipes
Boiled Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
My son's favorite cookie and dessert recipe hands down is the no bake cookies that I made while he was growing up. I will share my recipe for this yummy treat as well as several other recipes for no bake desserts.
When my son was in the military and overseas, this cookie recipe is one of the first things he started craving and asking for. It touched me very much to know that he equated my recipe with love and home.
Of course I sent him a few batches to eat and share with his comrades as did my sister. He said they were a huge hit!
My most recent batch of these was made for my son for Father's Day. That definitely put a smile on his face.
This recipe is very simple and easy to whip up. They are great for pretty much any time of the year but they are very popular for holidays, birthday gifts, pot luck meals at work, church, and family gatherings. I'll even share a few additions that my sister has experimented with to make these outrageously delicious treats even better.
Read on for the free links to other similar recipes that I found around the web and there are even some for those that have a few diet restrictions!
Image Courtesy of Cassidy
While living in the southern part of USA we would refer to this recipe as 'Boiled Oatmeal Cookies'. Since moving to the west coast, I found that most people in the Pacific NW know it as 'No Bake Cookies'.
Regardless of what you call them, they are goooood!
I'm not sure where this recipe originated from as it has been many decades since I started making it. Most likely it was originally from a local community cook book and we have evolved the recipe over the years to suite our tastes.
One of the most appealing things about these chocolate treats is that you don't have to turn on the oven and in the summer time especially, that's always a good thing.
This is the basic cookie recipe that I've always used. At the end I've listed a few variations on this recipe that my sister has experimented with.
How many you end up with depends on how large a spoon you use to drop them from. I use a wooden spoon and just estimate the size.
I suggest reading through the recipe a few times to make sure you have everything ready before you start as the end part can go quickly.
Have fun and I would love to know if you use this family favorite recipe and how they turn out for you!
Image Courtesy of alibree
Prep Time: 10 - 15 minutes
Total Time: About 30 minutes
Serves: Makes 24 + Cookies
- 2 cups of White Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Milk
- 1 stick of Butter
- 3 Tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
- 2 1/2 cups of Quick Cook Oats
- 3 heaping Tablespoons of Chunky Peanut Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Flavoring
- ***Before You Start To Cook***
- -Tear a long piece of wax paper and place on the counter to ready for the placement of your cookies.
- -Measure out the oats and place in a bowl that will be easy to pour from.
- -Measure out the chunky Peanut Butter and place in a bowl along with a rubber spatula to scoop it into the mixture quickly.
- -Have your measuring spoon and Vanilla ready to measure and add.
- -Set a hot pad on the counter to rest your hot pan on when done cooking.
- ***Now You Are Ready To Cook The Mixture***
- -In a medium to large size sauce pan, measure and add the first 4 ingredients.
- -The stick of butter will melt more quickly when sliced and then added to the mixture.
- -Stir until the ingredients are completely wet.
- -Place pan and mixture on the burner.
- -On MEDIUM heat, cook the mixture while stirring often.
- -Make sure to stir ALL areas of the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching.
- -When the mixture starts to form small bubbles in places, start stirring continuously until the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- -Once the mixture comes to a full rolling boil, start timing and let boil for 3 minutes while stirring constantly and thoroughly.
- ***After 3 Minutes Of Boiling***
- **Work VERY QUICKLY as your cookies will start to harden before you get them all dropped onto the wax paper!**
- -When 3 minutes is up, quickly move to the counter and put the pan on the hot pad.
- -Add the Vanilla Flavoring and stir.
- -Scrape the pre-measured Chunky Peanut Butter into the mixture and stir in thoroughly until melted and well mixed.
- -Pour the Quick Cook Oats into the mixture and stir quickly until they are thoroughly mixed.
- -Start to drop onto the waxed paper using Soup Spoon size drops or the size of your choosing.
- -Once you have the entire batch dropped onto the paper, your cookies should already be starting to harden.
- -Allow to cool (if you can wait that long!).
- Once cookies are cooled you may stack them on a serving plate.
- Store in the cupboard or someplace where they will be cool.
- I don't advise storing them in the refrigerator as they will probably change color or consistency.
- ***My Sister's Variations On The Above Recipe***
- **Coconut No Bakes**
- Reduce amount of Quick Cook Oats to 2 cups.
- Add 1 cup of Shredded Coconut in bowl with Quick Cook Oats.
- **Maple No Bakes**
- Leave out Cocoa Powder.
- Increase Quick Cook Oats to 3 cups.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Maple Flavoring in addition to the 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Flavoring.
No Bakes are Yummy!
Image Courtesy of abarndweller
No Bakes Dessert Recipe - Apricot Confection Cookie Candy Balls
These look and sound both easy and delicious! If you love apricots and love making No-Bake Desserts, take a look at this recipe for Apricot Confection.
No-Bake Cookie Bars Recipe - Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
This No-Bake Cookie Bars recipe is looking like another favorite to me! If you want to see how easy this dessert is to make, check out the Chocolate Oat Bars Recipe.
Other No Bake Recipes - Free Links For No Bake Cookies and Desserts
- Chocolate No Bake Cookies
A no bake cookie recipe that is similar to mine.
- Easy No Bake Oatmeal Blueberry Cookies
These no bake cookies look awesome to me! I like that they don't have any chocolate or peanut butter for when you want to have your sweetness on the lighter side.
- Peanut Butter Buckeyes
I used to make something similar to this no bake cookies recipe but I dipped the whole dough ball in the melted chocolate. Yummy!
- No Bake Chewy Cookies and Cream Bars
This recipe uses 3 main ingredients! Can't get much easier than that.
Specialty No Bake Recipes - Free Recipes Links
For those that have some restrictions on the ingredients they can have in their desserts, these recipes might help!
- No Bake Paleo Gluten-Free Cookies
These no bake cookies sound really good!
- Gluten Free No Bake Cookies
Gluten free and Grain Free yummy cookies.
- Gluten Free No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
This one has dates which I love!
- No Bake Gluten and Dairy Free Version Cookies
This sounds and looks like the more traditional No Bake cookies but has a few differences.
I would love to hear from you whether you are into no baking or not. :)