- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
10 Foods That Can Lower Your Blood Sugar
How to Lower Your Blood Sugar through the Foods You Eat
Wouldn't it be nice for all of us diabetics to be able to control our blood sugar through the food we eat? Well, there are foods that can at least aid us in dropping those blood sugar levels that haunt us daily. In fact, some of them might surprise you. I am going to share ten of them and then add a few seasoning etc that have been reported to help.
- Beans- lima beans, lentils, pinto beans, etc. most beans contain high amounts of fiber which has been proven to lower sugar levels.
- Nuts- walnuts, almonds, pecans, macadamian nuts and even peanuts help also. However, keep in mind most nuts are high in fats. Most nuts also contain protein which helps the insulin in your blood stream work better.
- Oatmeal- Though oatmeal is high in carbs it contains so much fiber that it almost deletes the carb intake. Keep in mind however that flavored oatmeal such as maple and brown sugar is high in sugar as well.
- Salmon and Tuna-These two foods are high in protein and also contain Omega-3 which helps fight the chances of heart attack and stroke.
- Dark Chocolate- Believe it or not, it can because it is rich in anti-oxidants. However, less is better. Indulging in dark chocolate is one thing, pigging out is a whole different story. Moderation is best
- Berries- they are full of fiber and anti-oxidants and eaten in moderation can help control diabetes. People with risk factors for heart disease were found to lower blood pressure and high cholesterol after eating one serving of berries for one week.
- Granola- high in fiber this crunchy treat also helps lower blood sugar levels.
- Dairy Products- high in calcium and vitamin D, milk, cheese and yogurt has surprisingly been found to help prevent diabetes and help control blood sugar levels.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- I don't recommend drinking this stuff, but people who had it in their diet were found to have lower blood sugar.
- Cinnamon- this spicy flavoring has been shown to lower blood sugar levels in individuals and is often recommended to be taken in pill form.
A good diabetic vitamin also helps in decreasing blood sugar. Always follow your doctor's instructions and ask before using any kind of OTC drug or vitamin. Also, keep in mind moderation is the key to diabetes control.