10 Ways to Hide Zucchini in Food.
Zucchini. Love them or hate them! While some of us can eat them with no problems, others can't bear to look at them. This is when hiding this important vegetable becomes essential. Here are some simple and practical ways to hide zucchini in food.
- When making a shepherds pie, use the blender to turn a couple of zucchini into very tiny pieces. You stop blending just before the mixture turns into a puree. Take the finely chopped zucchini and mix with the meat. You can use some meat gravy like Bisto to colour the mixture of zucchini and meat so that children will be unable to tell the difference.
- When making a meat sauce to use with baked pasta, one can also blend a couple of zucchini and maybe even carrots into a puree and mix in with the tomato sauce. If you do not overdo it, nobody will be any wiser of your hidden vegetables.
- Zucchini can also be hidden in smoothies. Simply blend a banana, apple, zucchini and a glass of water into a delicious green drink. You really will be unable to taste the zucchini since it will be overpowered by the banana and apple. Another popular smoothie is the strawberry, banana and zucchini one. Blend 10 large strawberries and a banana with a medium sized zucchini and a splash of water. The zucchini hides perfectly without changing the taste of the regular strawberry/banana smoothie.
- Cooked and blended carrots and zucchini can also hide well in the red tomato sauce. If you do not cook the carrots they will remain a bit chunky, so ideally you boil them before blending with the zucchini and pouring the mixture into the red sauce. I use this red sauce to mix with pasta or to cover a pizza or to serve with certain meat or fish. Plenty of uses for a fresh master tomato, carrot and zucchini sauce.
- Zucchini can also be hidden in cakes. Barb's Zucchini Cake makes a particularly delicious cake and rest assured that nobody will ever guess it contains zucchini.
- Zucchini sticks are also delicious. Zucchini can be sliced into sticks, coated with milk or eggs and dipped in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. They are then baked in the oven until the breadcrumbs turn golden (usually around 20 minutes). The zucchini inside will be warm and mushy prefect for babies or young children.
- Zucchini can be hidden in almost any muffin recipe. Simply grate some fresh zucchini into your muffin mixture and follow your normal recipe.
- Meat burgers are also an excellent disguise for zucchini. Simply boil or steam and blend some zucchini into the meat mixture while preparing the homemade hamburgers. This will work well with all sorts of meat burgers, beef, pork or even chicken.
- If you love pancakes, you could also blend some zucchini or carrots into the pancake batter. Ideally you steam or boil these vegetables before blending to ensure a smoother texture.
- Zucchini Lasagne will allow you to place thin slices of lasagne hidden into this delicious comfort food. Simply cut zucchini into very thin slices and put right on top of the sauce on every layer.