10 Things to Do with Leftover Rice
After pasta and potatoes, rice is probably the next most used carbohydrate base we use when preparing meals. But there always seems to be leftover rice that does not get eaten, gets forgotten, and ultimately ends up in the compost (or worse, the trash).
Rice is really a multi-talented carb because it goes well with many vegetables and meats whether you are cooking it for the first time or using it in some kind of leftovers. Here are ten simple ideas to use up that leftover rice.
Citation: rice image copyright Khalid Mahmood, wiki.
Which Do You Prefer
Using Up Leftover Rice
The next time you make a meal that calls for rice you will know ahead of time what to do with the leftovers. This will hopefully save you some time and a little money (because rice is not cheap).
- Add an egg to rice and press it into a greased pizza pan (works best with brown) lightly sprinkled with cornmeal. Bake ten minutes. Decorate with sauce and your favourite pizza toppings. Then bake until toppings are done.
- Add it to any soup you may make from scratch or open from a can.
- Chop up mushrooms and jalapenos, shred favourite cheese, mix and stuff hallowed out green peppers and bake or put on barbecue until tender.
- Use it as a breakfast cereal. Warm it up in microwave for 20 seconds, sprinkle with granulated sugar, and add milk. Eat with a spoon like your morning cereal. Try it!
- Make shepherd's pie but instead of using mashed potatoes to top the ground beef use the leftover rice.
- Add it to your meatloaf recipe to make two instead of one meatloaf. Freeze extra for following week.
- In a deep pot add 18 cooked mini meatballs, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped zucchini, 1 can of tomato soup, 1/2 can water, sprinkle of garlic power, pepper and cardamom. When heated add 2 cups leftover basmati rice. Heat and serve.
- Stir fry some veggies then add rice.
- Grease a 6 cup muffin pan. Use an ice-cream scoop and put a dollop of rice into each one muffin cup. Add a precooked meatball, 1 tablespoon of frozen peas of carrots, and another dollop of rice. Press down. Top with a teaspoon of parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of oregano and garlic powder. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until heated through.
- Use as bed for poached eggs instead of bread. Drizzle with hollandaise or cheese sauce.
How Do You Cook Your Rice
I started off cooking my rice in a pot. Then one day my husband came home with a rice cooker, kind of looked like a crock pot to me, because it was on sale and the friend he was shopping with swore by them. I used it for about a year but honestly, after years of cooking it in a pot I just did not like it and reverted back to pot cooking. The rice cooker collected dust for a few months before I freecycled it to a very happy person. There is no one way to cook your rice other than your way.
Rice and Milk
I usually have this as a breakfast but it would be fine for any time of day.
Part of cooking from scratch is getting the most out of the ingredients you spend your hard earned money on. If you have some creative uses for leftover rice share them with us in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting!