7 Fun Facts About Tea!
1. All Varieties Of Tea Come From The Camellia Sinensis Plant
All true tea is made from the Camellia sinensis plant (see picture below). The difference between black, green, white or oolong varieties has to do with how the tea leaves are processed and whether or not they undergo any fermentation or oxidation.
2. Iced Tea Was First Made Popular in 1904
It was introduced at the St. Louis World's Fair as crowds were eager to find something cold to drink in the hot weather.
3. Asia Produces The Most Tea
The top five tea producing countries in the worlds are 1) China, 2) India, 3) Kenya, 4) Sri Lanka, and 5) Turkey.
4. Tea That Comes In The Form of Tea Bags May Be Healthier
The reason for this is that tea that comes in tea bags is usually ground finer and as a result more of the health promoting antioxidants may be released into the water. For the same reason, caffeine levels also tend to be higher in tea bag forms.
5. Darjeeling is Known as the "Champagne of Teas"
This prize tea is only made from tea leaves grown in a specific and small area of India that is only about 70 square miles.
6. There Are Tea-Food Pairings
Just like some wine lovers enjoy pairing certain wines with certain foods, some tea lovers like to pair certain teas with certain foods. For example, according to one source, darker oolongs may be best paired with duck and grilled meat.
7. You Shouldn't Store Your Tea Near Your Coffee
In order to protect tea's delicate flavors, tea is best stored away from other strong aromas, so don't store it in the spice cabinet either!