- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Under 30-Minute Recipes
15-Minute, Super Simple Vegetarian Tacos
How to Keep it Simple
The most important element of a quick-prep and quick-cook meal is that it be versatile. This recipe can be made with any combination of vegetables you have on hand and with any spices you love. Feel free to substitute or add spices you love (try cumin powder or a pinch of cinnamon) to customize your dish. The key here is the method. It has saved me many times, and I know you'll love it!
- Two Cup Vegetables of choice, Medium Dice or Julienned
- 1 Tablespoon Each Chili Powder, Oregano, Garlic Powder
- To Taste Salt & Pepper
- Three Tablespoons Water
Cooking: So Simple
- Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan or chicken fryer.
- Add all chopped vegetables. We love onion, carrot, zucchini, and mushrooms. But any vegetables your family loves work!
- Add spices, and sauté for two minutes.
- To expedite cooking, add water and cover. Stir occasionally. When vegetables are cooked through, serve!
I love this dish because the variations are endless. In fact, they are only limited by your imagination. Try the following ideas to change up the flavors without losing time:
- Take your tacos to Asia by using Asian ingredients like ginger and soy sauce instead of chili powder and oregano. Add a little sugar to balance out the salty soy, and your filling will be ready for its trip east. Serve on a poached cabbage leaf or (if poaching cabbage isn't your thing) simply serve on bed of shredded cabbage on a tortilla.
- Add a little ginger to the ingredients listed above to shift your taco to India. A simple curry on flatbread is a staple in most of India, and it's only a shake away.
- If you want to eliminate cooking all together, finely chop your vegetables, then toss them with a simple salad dressing. Serve in a tortilla as a simple wrap.
If you can't have a taco without a little chewy protein, consider adding a cup of beans to the vegetable mixture. The added flavor and fiber will leave you feeling full and satisfied.