20 Disgusting Eating Contest Records That May Make You Never Want to Eat Again
There is something repulsive yet intriguing about eating contests. The thought of stuffing massive quantities of food down your throat in an effort to eat more and faster than everyone else turns the stomach of most people. And yet there is a lurid appeal to watching someone else do this. Eating contest masters take a normal human activity and turn it on its head. They make an every day thing that we do an extreme activity. And it’s so interesting that there are contests we can watch and even the Man Vs. Food television show where we can see large amounts of food consumed.
There are many different eating contests out there with hot dog eating contests arguably being the most popular. However, some contests are tougher than others. Sometimes it’s the sheer amount of food that people eat (like twenty pounds of something) and other times it’s the grossness of the food itself (with cow brains or plain butter at the top of the list). But there are people out there who are up for the challenge.
Here are 20 of the top eating contest records as reported by Major League Eating:
1. 1 Pound of Asparagus Per Minute. Joey Chestnut holds the record for eating asparagus at the Stockton Asparagus Fest where in 2008 he managed to eat nearly 9 pounds of Tempura Deep Fried Asparagus Spears in ten minutes. That’s practically one pound per minute!
2. 3-Pound Beef Tongue. Dominic Cardo holds the record here for his ability to eat 3 pounds, 3 ounces of whole pickled beef tongue in twelve minutes. Ew.
3. 3 Pounds of Sour Pickles. Cookie Jarvis managed to consume this sour treat in mass quantity in just five minutes.
4. 6 Pounds of SPAM. Way back in 2004, Richard LeFevre set the SPAMARAMA record by eating six pounds of canned SPAM in twelve minutes. Nobody has dared to repeat this since.
5. 9.5 Pounds of Peas. I don’t like peas personally but I can eat them if they’re on my plate. What I couldn’t do is eat nine-and-a-half one pound bowls of them in 12 minutes which is what Eric Booker did.
6. 13 Pounds of Poutine. One of the most recent wins was at the Smoke's Poutinerie World Poutine Eating Championship where Patrick Bertolli consumed 13 pounds of these rich gravy-and-cheese-covered fries in just ten minutes. That’s more than one pound per minute.
7. 21 Pounds of Grits. Patrick Bertoletti is no stranger to competitive eating. In 2007 he managed to get down 21 pounds of grits in ten minutes. That’s two pounds of grits per minute!
8. 47 Glazed, Cream-Filled Doughnuts. Also in 2007, Bertoletti consumed all of these rich donuts in just five minutes. That must have been some (sickening) sight to see.
9. Baked Beans. It doesn’t sound too terribly gross to eat 84 ounces of baked beans, does it? It does if you do it in under a minute which is the 2008 record held by Micah Collins.
10. Butter. Record holder Don Lerman ate seven sticks of butter in five minutes. Think about doing that. Yuck.
11. Cow brains. Never had an interest in eating cow brains? Then you’ll probably be shocked by Tokeru Kobayashi who ate nearly eighteen pounds of them in fifteen minutes.
12. Haggis. Eric Livingston ate three pounds of haggis in 8 minutes in 2008. For those of you who aren’t sure, haggis is a combination of several sheep organs stuffed into the stomach of the sheep and boiled for several hours.
13. Mayo. Could you imagine eating bowls of plain old mayonaisse? Oleg Zhornitskiy ate four 32-ounce bowls of mayo in eight minutes for his big win.
14. Onions. Eric Booker holds the record here for eating just three onions … in under a minute.
15. Pickled Jalapenos. Patrick Bertolletti’s mouth must have been on fire when he ate 191 pickled jalapeno peppers in 6.5 minutes in 2007 and again when he ate almost 300 of the peppers in 10 minutes in 2010.
16. Pigs Feet. This is one of those dishes I just can’t stomach eating a bite of. Arturo Rios Jr. ate almost three pounds of them in ten minutes in 2007.
17. Reindeer Sausage. There’s just something about this dish that doesn’t sound good to me. Maybe it’s because I just can’t help picturing Rudolph on a plate. Dale Boone doesn’t have that problem, though; he ate 28 of them in ten minutes. That’s nearly three sausages per minute.
18. Shoo-Fly Pie. This molasses pie may or may not sound good to you but does it sound at all good to eat more than eleven pounds in eight minutes like Patrick Bertoletti did in 2007. Yes, that’s the same year he ate almost 50 cream-filled donuts.
19. Turducken. You’ve heard about this Thanksgiving meal of a duck, chicken in turkey stuffed inside of one another. Have you ever wanted to eat it? How about nearly eight pounds of it in 12 minutes like Sonya Thomas did back in 2003. Notice that hasn’t been repeated in many years!
20. Ultimate Eating Tournament. Believe it or not, it’s a woman who holds the record for the Ultimate Eating Tournament at Broadway at the Beach. She ate one full pound of nachos, three hot dogs, two personal pizzas and seven chicken wings. Oh and she did that in just over seven minutes. Gross!
- Elephant vs Man eating contest, elephants win... DOH! | Weird News - It Happens
To add to the excitement of this years Coney Island hot dog contest 3 elephants took on 3 humans to eat hot dog buns. It seems the elephants have a bigger appetite
- How to Win an Eating Contest (with video) - wikiHow
wikiHow article about How to Win an Eating Contest.