- Food and Cooking
5 Easy and Inexpensive Meals to Feed a Family of 4
Quick and Easy Meals
I have compiled a list of 5 fast and easy meals that can be prepared with little effort and minimal costs to feed a family of 4. These are all tried and true recipes that I prepare all the time for my family especially when time is limited, as it often is during sports season… which seems to be all year long now.
I’m not making any claims to how healthy these meals are, though I can say that they are definitely not unhealthy. They are tasty, fun, and have lots of room for personal taste adjustments. So, enjoy them and come back to tell me what you think.
Oven Roasted Turkey Grilled Cheese on Texas Toast
- · 8 slices of thick Texas Toast
- 16 slices of cheese (whatever type you like)
- 16 slices of Oven Roasted Turkey (from your deli)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
Prepare by first buttering the inside of each slice of Texas Toast. Add a slice of cheese, then the turkey then another slice of cheese. Oil or butter the pan and cook each side of the sandwich for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Best if served with chips or potato wedges.
Crock Pot Beef Stew
- · 2lbs stew meat (it’s already cut up so nothing to prepare)
- · 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (the kind you would use in stir fry works well)
- · 1 can of minestrone (or any beef based soup)
- · 1 tsp. salt
- · 1 tsp. pepper
- · 1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- · 1 tbs. Soy sauce (optional)
Begin by adding the bag of frozen vegetables inside the crock pot. Add the meat on top of the vegetables. Add the remaining ingredients on top of the meat. Do Not Add Water. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
This is a good meal to prepare before leaving for work because it only takes a few minutes and then you can forget about it until you return home.
Barbequed Pulled Pork in a Crock Pot
- · 4 lbs pork shoulder roast (one that will fit inside your crock pot)
- · 2 medium white onions (sliced, not diced, for flavor)
- · 2 cups of barbecue sauce (bottled or homemade to your taste)
- · 1 ½ cups of water
Start by adding half of the sliced onions to the bottom of the crock pot. Add the shoulder roast on top of the onions. Add the water and then the remaining onions. Cook the roast on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours then remove and drain the liquid.
Separate and coarsely chop, or shred the meat and then replace it into the crock pot. Add your barbeque sauce. You may also return the sliced onion if you choose. Cook again on HIGH for an additional 4 to 5 hours.
Serve on plates or large buns with your choice of vegetables or potato wedges. This recipe makes enough pulled pork to serve 8 to 10 people at one sitting, but since it such a long cook time, I would suggest this be a weekend creation with plenty of weekend snacking.
Cheeseburger and French Fries Casserole
· 1 ½ lbs of ground beef (browned and drained)
· 1 bag frozen French Fries (usually 1 ½ pounds also)
· 1 can cheddar cheese soup
· 1 bag shredded cheese
· 1 large sliced onion (optional)
Start by placing the browned ground beef at the bottom of the casserole dish. Spread the can of soup evenly over the meat along with the sliced onions (optional.) Add the frozen French Fries on top and then spread the shredded cheese over the fries.
Cover the casserole and bake in the oven at 350 for one hour. No need to serve anything with this except maybe some apple pie.
- · 4 large flour tortillas
- · 1 lbs chicken (cooked, diced or shredded)
- · 1 bag shredded cheese (Sharp Cheddar or Monterey Jack)
- · 2 tbs. olive oil (or butter)
Other optional ingredients for filler can include diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, sliced mushrooms, chopped green onions, chopped lettuce, and avocado.
To start, each tortilla will require a half teaspoon of oil or butter heated in a large pan. Place a tortilla in the hot pan and cook each side until you see air pockets start to form. After the air pockets form you can add your handful of shredded cheese over the entire tortilla. Add the cooked chicken to half the tortilla. You can also add any optional ingredients now too but don’t make it too thick.
You can reduce the heat and when the cheese is sufficiently melted, fold one side of the tortilla over the spread. Flip the entire quesadilla over repeatedly every 10 to 15 seconds until the tortilla is browned. Once browned, remove from pan and cut into wedges.
You can serve this with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole and also cover with shredded iceberg lettuce.