5 Health Benefits of Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is something that almost all of us keep in our kitchens. It used in numerous recipes. I often add it to a brewing pot of coffee to add a bit of flavor to it as it is being made. A friend I know adds a bit to milk for her kids. Even though most of us use it, though, not many people realize how many benefits it has. We use it primarily for taste. We don't think about how it affects our health. But actually, vanilla extract does have a number of health benefits. These are good to know for all items that we regularly have in our homes.
Let's take a look at five different health benefits of vanilla extract:
- Helps with nausea. A number one benefit of vanilla extract is that it can be used to help calm the stomach when you are feeling nauseous. You simply add a few drops of the extract to a glass of water and sip slowly on it. The combination of the scent and the slow sipping of the extract should help to reduce the feeling of nausea. Not everyone keeps nausea medicine in their homes but most people have vanilla extract so this is a great benefit to be aware of!
- Weight loss aid. Some studies have shown that the scent of vanilla extract alone may assist people who are working to lose weight. The details of this are still being explored. And of course, proper weight loss has to do primarily with good diet and exercise. However, the fact that this everyday household extract might help with losing weight is certainly something to keep in mind when you're dieting.
- Reduces anxiety and stress. Studies have shown that vanilla extract has a positive benefit on people who are dealing with stress and anxiety. The scent helps with this. Sipping water or milk that has some vanilla extract in it may help reduce anxiety in some people. Since stress and anxiety cause so many different health problems, the use of vanilla extract to reduce anxiety and stress can be correlated with a variety of other health benefits as well.
- Healing of wounds. Historically, vanilla extract was used to heal wounds. It is debatable whether or not this is a good use of vanilla extract today. Some people who believe in homemade remedies do use it. Others say that the use of vanilla extract for open wounds and burns is not a good idea. It may not be ideal but it's something to be aware of if you get hurt at home and don't have a good first aid kit handy.
- Regulates menstruation. Women with irregular periods may use vanilla extract to help regulate their cycles. Of course there are more modern methods for period regulation (like the use of birth control pills monitored by a doctor) but if you're only having slight problems then adding vanilla extract to your diet may help.
Vanilla extract isn't going to cure you of any major diseases. However, it can offer small health benefits like regulating your period and reducing feelings of nausea. Since you probably keep it around the house anyway, it's nice to know what these benefits are.
- Vanilla And Health Benefits Of Vanilla
Vanilla extract can be used to make vanilla powder and it imparts sweetness to the dish. It can be considered as a healthy spice and can be used for making vanilla dessert. Know more about organic vanilla and vanilla ingredients
- Vanilla Extract Benefits | eHow.com
Vanilla Extract Benefits. Vanilla extract is taken from the vanilla bean in Central America. The production of this extract began in Mexico in its early centuries. This was done by the Totonacas, and has been used for...