- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
5 Health Benefits of Different Types of White Fish
When you go to select a type of fish from the seafood section of your supermarket, do you drift towards the white fish or the fish that is more pink? Most people who choose one over the other will do so for taste. There are some people (like myself) who strongly prefer the taste of white fish whereas others love the pink meats best. However, there is something else you should consider the next time that you're at the store selecting your fish for dinner: nutritional value.
All types of fish do offer some health benefits. White fish may offer more benefits compared to darker fish. Here are five examples of the health benefits of white fish:
- White fish is especially low in fat. Fish is considered by many to be a low-fat food. People who are trying to eat a diet that will help them lose weight often substitute fish for other types of meat in order to keep their fat content down. White fish is generally lower in fat than other types of fish. White sea bass, for example, has almost zero percent body fat and is one of the leanest cuts of fish available. Other popular white fish, like sole, is also low in fat. Low-fat diets have many health benefits, helping to lower your risk of many diseases include heart disease, diabetes and cancer. White fish may be part of a healthy low-fat diet to prevent these types of disease.
- White fish is rich in B vitamins. There tend to be more B vitamins in white fish than in dark fish. B vitamins are good for a lot of health reasons. They increase your metabolism which is going to further help you keep to a healthy weight. B vitamins are good for your skin, your cells and your immune system. A good immune system means that you'll be healthy all around. White fish can help with that.
- White fish is rich in selenium. Selenium adds to some of the benefits that you're already getting from those B vitamins. It is good for the skin and good for the cells. Proper intake of selenium can help prevent problems related to thyroid conditions.
- White fish is a great source of iodine. Another mineral that you need that will help with your thyroid function is iodine. Good thyroid function aids with many things ranging from fetal development to prevention of depression. Many people get their iodine today from iodine table salt. However, you can also get it from white fish.
- White fish is high in protein. You need protein for cell growth which affects many different aspects of your overall health. Some sources of protein are considered healthier than others. As a low-fat, nutrient-rich source, white fish is a great option for getting the protein that you need.
- White fish - Including nutritional information and the health benefits of eating white fish.
White fish - A general introduction to white fish such as cod, haddock, plaice and sole with nutritional information.