- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Sugar Free Recipes for Diabetics
Whatever the issue – diabetes or obesity – cutting down on sugar does not necessarily mean boring!!! Muffins, cakes, cookies and snacks can very much be part of your sugar free menu. In fact, sugar free cooking can be as easy and fulfilling.
Try some guilt-free cooking with artificial sweeteners, natural honey or Sugar Free to prepare rich and decadent recipes.
Natural sugar substitutes such as maple syrup or golden syrup can be used for baking. Low in calories, sugar free recipes can be easily incorporated in preparing snacks and goodies for children; they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
1. Additional use of vanilla accentuates the sweetness in a dish
2. Override fruits can add the natural sweetness, flavor and moisture in baking
3. Use sugar as sprinkle on pies (filling can be prepared with fresh dried fruits only)
4. Spices add the natural sweetness to dishes; try cinnamon, cloves or nutmeg to intensify the flavors
5. Boil fruit juices to one-third of their original volume to achieve the sweetness and concentrated flavor.
Sugarfree Orange And Lime Baked Cheesecake
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon peel
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/14th cup all purpose flour
- 1/3rd cup sugar substitute
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 24 oz cream cheese
- 1/23rd cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp orange peel
- 12 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (yoghurt)
- 1 slice orange
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- Position the rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 180°C. Butter the 9–inch – diameter pan with 2- inch- high sides.
- Whisk egg yolk, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla in a small bowl to blend. Blend the flour and sugar in a processor. Add butter and process until coarse crumbs form, and add the yolk mixture and blend until moist clumps form.
- Press the dough onto the bottom and 11/2 inches up the sides of the prepared pan. Freeze the crust for 10 minutes.
- Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush the crust lightly with some egg white. Bake until the crust turns pale golden.
- Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Add sugar, beat until well blended.
- Beat in a tablespoon of cornstarch, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and all the citrus peels and vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating and blending well with each addition. Beat in the sour cream or yoghurt.
- Pour the filling into the crust. Bake the cake for about 55 minutes, till it puffs and cracks around the edges, and the center moves only slightly when the pan is shaken gently.
- Remove from oven. Run a small knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Cool in a pan the rack. Refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer cake to a platter.
- Garnish with orange and mint.
Gajar Anjeer Ka Halwa
- 2 cups Grated carrot
- ¼ cup Milk
- 5tbsp sugar substitute
- ¼ tsp Cardamom (elaichi ) Powder
- 1 tbsp Melted ghee
- ¼ Khowa
- 1 cup Dried anjeer
- 1 tbsp sliced pistachios and cashew nuts (kaju)
- 1 Edible silver leaf (vark)
- Combine the Ghee, grated carrots and anjeer in a kadhai. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk, sugar, cardamom powder and khowa, and mix well.
- Serve hot, garnished with sliced pistachios, cashew nuts and vark.
Light Chocolate Mousse
- ½ cup Boiling water
- 2 tbsp Powdered Gelatine
- 2 tbsp Melted bitter chocolate
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup Castor sugar
- Combine water and Gelatine in a jug. Whisk with a fork until the Gelatine has completely dissolved. Stir in 2 tablespoon of melted bitter sweet chocolate. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until meringue is thick and glossy
- With the mixer on high speed, add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well as you add.
- Slowly pour the Gelatine mixture into the egg mixture (make sure the mixtures are the same temperature before you combine them), beating constantly until well blended.
- Spoon the mixture into 6 serving cups. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set and chilled.
- Dust with 2 teaspoon cocoa and Serve.