- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
5 exotic fruits
Favourite Exotic Fruit
Which of these exotic fruits is your favourite?
Passion Fruit Cut Open
Passion fruit collection
Passion Fruit Facts
They are purple & yellow skinned fruits.
They have a jelly-like pulp which has a sweet-sharp almost lemony flavor.
There is a small jelly like clusters of edible seeds
Rich in vitamin C & fiber if you include eating the seeds.
Wrinkled is good! Passion fruit is at its ripest like this.
Ripe passion fruits store well in the fridge for up to a week.
S America, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Africa, are all producers.
Availability is all year round.
They can be grown indoors.
They can grow to 15 to 20 ft. per year, on growing vines.
Jack fruit growing
Ripe jack fruits ready to eat
Jack Fruit Facts
- Thought to be indigenous to the rain forests located in the Western Ghats of India
- Jackfruits are the largest tree-borne fruit in the world, reaching sometimes up to 80 pounds in weight and measuring up to 36 inches long & 20 inches in diameter.
- Jackfruit unopened has a strong smell, just like decayed onions
- The pulp of the opened fruit smells like pineapple and banana.
- When the ripe bulbs are fermented, they produce a potent alcohol.
- The leaves from the Jackfruit leaves help to cure ringworms, diabetes, & asthma.
- The tree wood is used to make musical instruments, including the body of the Indian drums.
- The tree wood is also popular for the manufacture of furniture, including doors and windows, and also in roofs.
- Jackfruit heartwood is used by buddhist monks in Asia as a dye for their light brown colours.
Lychee cut open
Lychee Fruit Facts
- They are mostly grown in China, India, Southern Africa, Madagascar, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Taiwan, northern Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Mexico.
- It has a sweet taste, and is a fragranced fruit.
- Lychees mature from July through to October, around 100 days after flowering.
- There is a single brown seed in the middle, that is like a nut, but it is not edible.
- One of the earliest references to the fruit is in chinese history, made by Yan Yuhuan.
- The Emperor during the tang dynasty's favourite concubine ( Maternal friend)
- The lychee fruit has lots of vitamin C, and about 10 would meet your daily requirements.
- An average cup of Lychee fruit contains many essential minerals including: Copper,Phosphorus,and Potassium.
- Lychees are low in Saturated Fat, also Cholesterol and Sodium.