- Food and Cooking
Reasons to Own a Bread Machine & a Crazy Dough Recipe
5 Reasons Why You Should Make Homemade Bread in a Bread Machine
1. Quick and Easy: It's the quickest and easiest way to make homemade bread. Make bread, rolls, pizza, runzas, bread sticks, etc. using the same recipe. Crazy Bread Dough keeps in the refrigerator up to a week, so you just need to heat the oven and bake when you want fresh bread, rolls or pizza.
2. Timesaving: You never have to run out of bread and make a special trip to the grocery store.
3. Money Saving: Breadmakers arent expensive. You can purchase one for as little as $50. Think how quick it will be paid for with the money you save not buying store bought bread.
4. Ambience: The aroma and taste of homemade bread is out of this world delicious.
5. Ego Booster: Your family will brag to all their friends about what great bread you make.
1. Enjoy the Quickest Mixing Method:
I have a recipe, to share with you, where you can mix the dough, divide it and keep it in the refrigerator until you want to bake it. You can have fresh bread, rolls, bread sticks or pizza in less than an hour. The aroma alone is priceless.
Whenever I come across something that I love, I want to share it with everyone I know. That’s the way I feel about this Crazy Bread recipe and my bread machine. If you don’t already have a bread machine, or you have one but don’t use it, I’m going to tell you why I think you’re missing out on one of the best time and money savers that you can have in your kitchen.
Pictured above: Filling stuffed Crazy Dough. Chop leftover chicken or baked chicken breast, add two tablespoons of minced onion, a tablespoon or two of salad dressing and a tablespoon of cheese spread. Place filling on one side of a rectangle of Crazy dough, fold over and pinch edges. Bake in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Spray with vegetable spray while still warm.
2. and 3. Enjoy the Time and Money Saved:
Did you know that you can buy a bread machine for less than $50? First of all, you know how expensive store bought bakery goods is and that it would be much cheaper to make and bake your own. Adding the cost of all the ingredients, it costs about $1.25 to make a loaf of bread in a bread machine. You'd even save more if you used that dough to make pizza or rolls.
The reasons that you aren't making your own baked breads is probably because you think it takes too long and that maybe the bread won't taste or look good. Rest assured, you can make bread by spending, at the most, 20 minutes of your time. You can toss the ingredients into the mixing pan, start the machine and after about three hours remove the baked bread from the machine. Or, you can do it like I do.
4. Enjoy the Aroma:
I put the ingredients into the machine, set a timer and take the bread dough out of the machine so I can make rolls or buns the size I want.
Although the bread machine comes with a booklet that includes recipes, in this article I’m going to share with you a recipe that can be made ahead, stored in your refrigerator for up to a week or you can freeze the dough to use later. Use the dough to make pizzas, rolls, runzas, bread sticks, or a loaf of bread.
Imagine the aroma of bread baking when the family comes home to eat. Incredible!Use Crazy Dough and the tutorial at How to Make Homemade Bread to make cinnamon rolls like the ones shown above. When was the last time you enjoyed the aroma of warm cinnamon rolls?
5. Enjoy the Bragging Rights:
This bread is so easy to make you might call it no-fail. Your family will think you spent many hours of labor making homemade bread especially for them. Just smile and say “Thank you,” while they rave on and on.
The original recipe for Crazy Bread is one that you mix without a bread maker. You can find this recipe at Kitchen Nostalgia. This makes twice as much dough as the bread machine recipe.
Crazy Bread Recipe
I've cut the recipe in half to mix the dough in the bread maker, and changed the recipe to make it WWpoints+ friendly.
- 1/2 cup milk or (1/2 cup water plus 4 teas. Dry milk) or (1/2 cup No Fat Half and Half)
- 3/4 cup plain no fat yogurt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbls. Dry yeast
- In a small bowl whisk the egg, milk and yogurt til mixed. Heat for 30-40 seconds in the microwave or til lukewarm. Pour into the bread machine bowl.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and yeast.
- Place in the bread machine and set a timer to remove the dough before it starts baking.
- Place the crazy dough in a plastic bag, squeeze out the air and seal. Place in the refrigerator for up to one week or you can freeze the dough. (I divide the dough into three pieces, seal them into sandwich bags and put them all in a gallon sized bag and seal.
- I use one third of the dough to make a 12" pizza. One half of a 12" pizza crust= 4 WW+points. You can prepare a pizza for the oven and refrigerate it. Cover with saran wrap if it will be refrigerated all afternoon or overnight. Set it out of the refrigerator while the oven is preheating. Then bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is browned to your satisfaction.
- When making rolls or bread sticks, etc. let them rise for about 30 minutes before placing them in a preheated 375 degree oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned.
How to Make Crazy Dough Pizza
Pat and stretch one third of the Crazy Dough on a 12” round pizza pan.
Spread prepared pizza or pasta sauce over the crust and sprinkle with Garlic and Herb seasoning (or any seasoning of your choice.)
Add flattened quarter sized balls of ground beef and pieces of turkey pepperoni.
Add drained mushrooms and ripe olives.
Top with No Fat sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until browned to your satisfaction.
© 2014 Loraine Brummer