- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
5 Minute 5 Star Microwave Salmon
- 5-6 oz Salmon Filet
- 1 leaf Kaffir Lime, sliced
- 1 sprig French Tarragon
- Cracked Pepper
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- 1 Meyer Lemon
1. Microwavable Dish. The dish should have at least an inch of clearance on all sides of the filet, and be about twice as tall as the filet.
2. Plastic wrap. Avoid using very thin plastic wrap, or the cheap stuff, which tends to give off a plastic odor.
3. Cutting board. I recommend a plastic cutting board used exclusively for seafood.
4. Sharp Knife. I like to use a Santoku knife.
Importance of Quality Ingredients
In order to have a good finished result you need to start with quality ingredients.
1. The Salmon . Choose only the freshest wild caught salmon. I prefer line caught Pacific King Salmon. Be wary and be choosy, any salmon you find that is from the Atlantic is farm raised.
2. Meyer lemon. Meyer lemons are slightly sweeter than other varieties and compliment the taste of seafood.
3. French Tarragon. One fresh sprig will do, avoid using wilted or yellowing leaves as they will give the salmon an off flavor.
4. Kaffir Lime leaf. Kaffir lime leaves are an essential ingredient in Thai cooking and give a unique flavor to seafood. Use a fresh leaf if available, otherwise a dried one will do fine.
5. Sea salt. I prefer Himalayan pink salt, but any good quality large crystal or flake sea salt will work.
6. Fresh cracked Black Pepper. It is important to use fresh cracked as opposed to pre-ground pepper to get a good flavor and mild heat.
7. 1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The oil helps hold the flavor and moisture in.
- Cut the kaffir leaf into small strips and divide the sprig of tarragon into 2 pieces, set aside.
- Slice 4 thin (about 1 cm) discs out of the lemon, set aside.
- Coat the filet in olive oil, then salt and pepper both sides.
- Place 2 of the lemon slices in the bottom of the dish, then put 1 half of the tarragon sprig and half of the kaffir slices on top of them.
- Place the filet on top of the lemon slices, then put the remaining tarragon sprig and kaffir slices on top of the filet, and the 2 remaining lemon slices on top of that.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap, making sure it is airtight.
Cooking and Serving
This is the easiest part! Just put it in the microwave on high for 3 minutes, and check it to make sure it is cooked thoroughly, cooking at additional 30 second intervals. I do this to avoid overcooking, and because all microwaves vary in their power output.
I like to serve the filet on a bed of wilted spinach with a side of brown rice, but it goes well with many sides.