Desserts: White Pumpkin Halwa or Ash Gourd Halwa Recipe
Ash gourd Halwa is popularly known as 'Kashi halwa' or 'Khushmanda' in India. This dessert has all the goodness of White Pumpkin. This halwa has a perfect blend of sweetness and flavor. It is juicy and heavenly!!
Ingredients For Ash gourd Halwa
- 2 cups Ash gourd, grated
- 3/4 cup sugar, If using milk maid, reduce the sugar quantity
- 4 cardamom, powdered
- A few strands safron, Optional -soak in warm milk for 10 minutes
- 15 cashew nuts, pieces
- 20 raisins
- 5 tsp ghee
Step-by-step Guidelines For Making Ash gourd Halwa
- Remove the outer skin of the Ash gourd. Grate two big pieces to get two cups pulp. The pulp will be watery. Let it be like that. No need to remove water from it.
2. Heat two teaspoon ghee in a deep pan. Fry cashew pieces and raisins till they are crisp. Remove on a plate. To the same pan, add remaining ghee. Pour grated ash gourd on it. Let the fire be medium high. Occasionally stir the mix. Continue cooking till the water evaporates. Add sugar. If you want to add milkmaid, add it now. Continue cooking till the mix becomes semi-solid.
3. Add cardamom, cashew pieces and raisins. Lower the flame. Stir continuously till the mix becomes shiny, oozes out ghee and is almost dry. Put off the fire. Transfer it to a round-bottomed bowl. Immerse it on a serving plate. Halwa gets a beautiful shape. Scoop it, serve! Enjoy the heavenly taste!!
I used 2 tsp milk maid in this recipe. Hence, I reduced the sugar quantity to 1/2 cup. It is optional to use milkmaid. However, I like to stress that, using a small quantity of milkmaid gives rich flavor and firmness to this dessert.
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Sugar 19 g|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 29 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|