Easy-To-Make Quick And Healthy Tomato Cabbage Soup Recipe
An Easy and Healthy Way to Feed The Family
If you're looking for a simple, quick, healthy tomato cabbage soup recipe, look no further. This healthy vegetarian soup is filling, low in calories and ready in no time at all. Meat eaters may toss in some nicely browned chicken, turkey, saugese or beef. Add most anything you like. including left-overs.
So grab a soup pot, clean your cutting board and get ready to whip up a delicious lunch or dinner. Perfect for one or the whole family, everyone will be asking for seconds.
And if you're watching your weight, this is a perfect and satisfying way to go.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, virgin
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large bottle or can tomato or v8 juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large package shredded cabbage
- 6-8 baby size red potatoes
- 3-6 sprigs fresh basil
- a few sprinkles cayanne pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add shredded cabbage, stirring to mix with oil, onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoe juice and stir.
- Cut baby potatoes in half and add to mixture.
- Add salt and pepper and finely cut basil leaf. Stir.
- Add turmeric and stir
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 11 g|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Some Facts About Cabbage
Throughout history the ancient Romans and Greeks have referred to cabbage as sea and wild cabbage and recognized it for its nutritional and medicinal properties. It is very high in vitamine C and contains significant amounts of the anti-inflammatory property, glutamine.This has proven to be beneficial in treating arthritis.
A paste can be made using cabbage and applied to injuries and then wrapped in the cabbage leaves itself. Most of us recognize the fiber found in cabbage but did you know that cabbage may also help respiratory diseases?
Cabbage Works For a Hangover
It is stated that the early Egyptians began their meal with a generous helping of raw cabbage, seeds and all. Apparently this ritual would keep one sober during a festive evening.
Thanks for checking out my Super Quick and Healthy Tomato and Cabbage Soup Recipe. If you like this, please share it with others by sending them a link to this page.
The Famous Cabbage Soup Diet
I love this diet for quick weight loss. You don't want to be on it forever, but if you have a few pounds that need to come off in a hurry, this works. It's possible to lose 10 (4.5kg) pounds in a week. I lost 8 pounds in the first week. Much of the loss may be due to water loss, but it's still a loss of weight.
Wikipedia.com lists the following variations for this diet:
Beverages are limited to water, and unsweetened fruit juice on days when fruit is allowed. This is a typical outline of the diet:
- Day 1 - Cabbage soup plus as much fruit as desired, excluding bananas
- Day 2 - Cabbage soup with vegetables
- Day 3 - Cabbage soup plus fruit and vegetables excluding potatoes and bananas
- Day 4 - Cabbage soup plus up to eight bananas and as much skimmed milk as desired
- Day 5 - Cabbage soup plus up to 10 ounces (280 g) of beef and up to six tomatoes
- Day 6 - Cabbage soup plus as much beef and vegetables (excluding potatoes) as desired
- Day 7 - Cabbage soup plus brown rice, vegetables (excluding potatoes) and unsweetened fruit juice
Because of the difference of opinion in the medical profession, it is best to check with your doctor before beginning this diet. And remember, this is only for a seven day period. Everyone is different and responds differently to the Cabbage Soup Diet.
I have provided links below for more information on this diet. Please check these out before deciding to try it.
Resources - http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-cabbage-soup-diet
Do you like this fast and easy recipe?
© 2012 Audrey Hunt