- Food and Cooking
A Great Recipe For Old Bananas
This is one of my easy, simple banana recipes for using up any old bananas that have gone just a little too brown and soft. It's quick to prepare, quick to cook and uses only a handful of store cupboard ingredients. I think everyone's got their own banana recipe and they're almost always baking recipes or dessert recipes (or the classic banana bread / banana loaf). Well, this one requires no baking but it's definitely a dessert recipe. You'll never throw out your old bananas again!
Recipe for Old Bananas Cook Time
Recipe for old Bananas Ingredients
- Over-ripe Bananas
- 1 knob Butter
- A splash Orange Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- A splash Rum or Brandy
Recipe for Old Bananas Instructions
- Prepare the old bananas by peeling off the skin and slicing each one length ways and then in half so that each banana provides 4 flat-ish pieces.
- Heat the butter and sugar in a pan until the butter and melted and the sugar starts to caramelise
- Add in the old bananas and stir into the butter/sugar mix until coated. Continue to fry for a couple of minutes until the bananas start to become soft.
- Add a splash of orange juice and fry for another 30 seconds until slightly reduced.
- Add in the brandy or rum. You can literally add as much or as little of the alcohol as you like. Continue frying until the liquid has reduced and the bananas are nice and soft. I like to use Admiral Vernon's 'Old J' as it has a vanilla sweetness which works well in this recipe.
- Lift out the bananas with a slotted spoon and serve with a ball of vanilla ice cream. Spoon over the remainder of the sauce from the pan.
Barbeque those Old Bananas!
I'm not sure of the nutritional value of this dish but hey, it's a dessert just enjoy it!!
Also, there is an alternative version of this great recipe that can be cooked on the barbecue. Simply prepare the old bananas as described above and place them in a parcel made out of tin foil. Mix together the sugar, butter, orange juice and rum/brandy and pour over. Wrap up the foil parcel and place on the barbecue for 10 minutes or so. Delicious!
Like this Old Banana Recipe?
Do you like this old banana recipe?
Check out my other quick and easy recipes
- Perfect White Russian Recipe
Find out what is in a White Russian cocktail. This is an easy to follow White Russian recipe for a perfect White Russian cocktail. Follow these simple steps so that you can make a White Russian too.
- Delicious Fruit Smoothie Recipe
This delicious fruit smoothie recipe shows you how to make a fruit smoothie. It is one of my favourite smoothie recipes with fruit because it is such an easy and healthy fruit smoothie recipe.
- Quick and Easy Meal Recipe: Ranch Stew (Ideal for Sl...
Here is a delicious simple and easy recipe for a one-pot dish that can be cooked in one pan on the stove or in a slow cooker or crock pot.
Great quick and easy recipes
I was recommended this book by a colleague of Caribbean descent. There's some outstanding recipes in here including popular classics and many more you may not know about.