- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
A Guide to the Perfect Buttermilk Pie
This is a family recipe that my grandmother passed down to me. Everyone has always loved these pies and always wanted the recipe. However, no matter who she gave it to they just couldn't get it right. Luckily she taught me how to make them just like her. So when she passed it became my turn to take over her recipe and continue making them. So I hope you enjoy this recipe and leave a comment to let me know what you think of them.
- 2 Frozen premade pie shells
- 2 sticks of margarin, melted
- 5 eggs, whisked seperately in a bowl
- 3 cups Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Flour
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- First, melt your 2 sticks of margarine in a medium sauce pan. Once melted add your sugar and flour. Do this step while the pan is still on the heat.
- Once you begin this step take the pan off the heat. This is very important, if you don't do this, the mixture will mess up. Once your sugar has dissolved, then add your buttermilk, vanilla, and salt.
- You take the mixture off the heat, so that when you add the buttermilk it cools down the mixture for this next step. Finally add your eggs to the mixture.
- **Always remember to add the eggs last so they don't scramble. The buttermilk cools it down so they won't***
- Now your pies are ready to cook. Cook them for 55 minutes and then you have the best buttermilk pies of the south.