A Healthier Macaroni and Cheese
My favorite comfort food
I love macaroni and cheese. Pasta, cheese, it's the perfect combination. It always tastes good and it's always fun to eat. With a few minor tweaks, you can make this favorite a healthier choice. This is one case where you can have your cake and eat it to.
- olive oil
- macaroni and cheese mix
- a milk alternative, for example almond milk or soy milk
- a can of crushed tomatoes
- some veggies, (fresh, frozen, or canned)
Cooking the macaroni
- In a pot, add as many cups of water as needed for the amount of macaroni you plan to cook.
- Add some olive oil. This keeps the pasta from sticking together.
- Bring the water to boil.
- Add the pasta.I like . Annie's Homegrown Shells and White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- Stir occasionally.
- Boil until macaroni is cooked.
Almond or Soy Milk
Veggies and Portion Size
Adding veggies to any meal is a plus. Portion size is also important to eating healthy. As much as I would love to have my plate filled with just macaroni and cheese, I've learned to add veggies to half my plate. In this case, I added some organic canned green peas and some canned organic French cut green beans. Fresh veggies are the best but since I live alone, they spoil before I have a chance to eat them all. Frozen veggies are another good choice.
A Healthier Mac and Cheese
Cooking healthier meals does not have to be difficult and time consuming. Often, it is just a matter of making some substitutions.