- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
A Healthy Dessert - Beautiful Kiwi Banana Strawberry Fruit Tart
Fruit tarts are a dessert that have been around for a very long time. It was made when someone couldn't decide on what type of fruit they wanted, so they made their own. That's where fruit tarts originated. Often times, I myself cannot choose which fruit I want. So, instead I begin to make my own fruit tart combination of all of the ones I desire at that moment. It sometimes end up being a strange combination, but being the strange person that I am, I found that it causes me to discover new and wonderful recipes in the process. This one is my personal favorite one that I came up with. It just so happened that I wrote it down that day, and now I'm going to share it with you.
Delicious kiwis, bananas, and strawberries all combined onto one healthy crust for many to enjoy. Fresh fruits go great on this recipe and it is sure to please anyone who introduces their taste buds to it.
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced banana
- 1 cup thinly sliced strawberries
- For crust, combine flours and the 1 tablespoon sugar. Cut in margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with ice water; toss till crumbly. Form dough into a ball. Press dough into a circle on waxed paper. Roll into a 10 inch circle. Remove top sheet of waxed paper; invert onto an ungreased baking sheet. Remove remaining waxed paper. Crimp pastry edge. Prick with a fork.
- Bake crust in a 400 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till lightly browned. Cool. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine the 2 teaspoons sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; cool.
- Place crust on a serving plate. Arrange kiwi fruit in the center. Arrange bananas around kiwi and berries around bananas. Spoon glaze over fruit. Serve immediately or chill for up to 1 hour. Makes 6 servings.
153 calories, 2 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 232 mg potassium.
Thanks for reading and leave a comment for future article recommendations and critiques!