- Food and Cooking
Curry Vermicelli Noodles
One of my favorite comfort food is curry vermicelli noodles. Originally I had this idea after saw some leftover vermicelli noodles in the fridge and thinking what can I do with it. It is very simple and quick dish. Most importantly, it has all in one. Spicy, creamy, sweet and sour. Bon Appetite!
- Half packet of rice vermicelli noodles
- Half can of coconut milk
- A half pound of shrimp (deveined but try not to remove the shells)
- 5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of water
- 5 tablespoons of curry powder
- 2 small shallots diced
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced
- An inch of fresh ginger root sliced
- 4 pieces of curry leaves (optional)
- A tablespoon of tamarind juice
- 2 seeds of green cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 whole star anise
- Scallions for garnishing (optional)
- Hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- Tomatoes (optional)
- In a bowl, put some water and soak the noodles for about 20 minutes or until it softens and drain the water.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- First saute the curry leaves, shallots, garlic, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Add curry powder and continue to stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, coconut milk, and water and put a lid on. Let it simmer over a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add tamarind juice and salt. As usual, don't forget to taste!
- The broth should be ready within 5 minutes, take the noodles put in a bowl and pour the broth over it. Garnish with scallions, tomatoes, and hard-boiled eggs.
© 2017 Liza Ikram