Bacon Mac and Cheese Casserole
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. I have been eating and making Mac N Cheese for longer than I want to admit. My grandmother used to make this casserole dish once a week on Thursday nights. Her recipe to me is the best, but as with most recipes I tend to switch them up by adding different ingredients to them.
Basic Recipe For Macaroni and Cheese
- 3-4 cups dry Noodles of your choice (I prefer elbows)
- 2 cups grated Old cheddar cheese (the older the better)
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups Milk
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Boil noodles in a large pot according to package instructions.
- Rinse and drain noodles.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Grease a casserole dish, then add 1/3rd of the cooked noodles. Sprinkle 1/3rd of your cheese on top of the noodles. Repeat process another two times. Pour milk evenly over mixture. Bake for approximately one hour. If you like your noodles a bit crunchy leave in the oven a bit longer.
The recipe above is basic. To add a twist to this age old recipe here are some of the things that I do to jazz it up.
The basic recipe stays the same.
- Sauté diced onions, green peppers and garlic and mix into the cooked macaroni before adding to the baking dish.
- On the top of the entire dish I will add slices of bacon and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Spice up this dish with hot chili peppers, Slap Ya Mama Cajun spice or whatever your taste buds fancy.
- Add cooked hamburger, ground pork or chicken.
- Canned diced tomatoes mixed into the noodles or thick sliced tomatoes on top of the noodles.
There are so many ways you can change this basic recipe all you have to do is get creative.
Serve with a salad and enjoy!