- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
A Perfect Easy Family Recipe - How to Make Mince and Dumplings
Why this recipe?
When ever me and Jon (my husband) go home to my parents house my mum loves to try out new recipes on us. She really loves cooking and seems to think we are a good sounding board for experiments! This recipe is a slight adaptation on one she found in 'The Hairy Bikers' newest cookbook.
It uses great simple british ingredients, to make a lovely homely dish. It would be perfect on a cold winter evening. Plus it is fairly cheap to make, and that is always good in my books.
Definitely a recipe the whole family would enjoy.
Rate this Recipe
- 500g Mince Beef
- 1 large White Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large Leek, thinly sliced
- 3 medium Carrots, sliced
- 1 can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2tbsp Tomato Puree
- 350ml Beef Stock
- 150ml Red Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Pinch Caster Sugar
- 1 clove/1tsp Garlic/Lazy Garlic
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 125g Atora
- Fresh Parsley, Finely Chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan, cook onion, garlic, leek and carrots for 20 mins on medium heat. Stirring often.
- Add beef and cook for 10 mins until no longer pink, stirring well
- Add tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, red wine. caster sugar, bay leaf, salt and pepper (to taste), simmer on low for 20 mins, Stir occasionally to stop from catching.
- Dumplings - put flour in a bowl with atora, pinch of salt and parsley.
- Make a well in centre and add slowly 200 mls cold water mix into spongy dough.
- Split into small balls (should make about 12) and place into mince, pour over a bit of the juice, cover tightly and cook for a further 30 to 40 mins, till well risen and light.
Serve with new potatoes or mash for a great yummy meal. Keep the leftovers for the next day as the dumplings taste even better when they are re cooked.
For a slight alternative trying adding different herbs to the dumplings. The parsley is lovely but they would also work really well with Rosemary or even Thyme!
More yummy recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipe - Jamie Oliver's Ham Joint in Cok...
How to cook a ham in a slow cooker. Cooking a ham in Coca-Cola or Coke then baking the ham in a lovely sticky aromatic glaze, it is a great yummy dish that the whole family will enjoy and will be perfect served hot or cold
- How to make Pie - The Very Best (and easiest) Sausag...
A really easy recipe for sausage pie, with bacon, leeks and double cream. A great family meal, perfect for kids or fathers day.
- Slow Cooker Recipes - Best Sausage Casserole Recipe ...
The best, most filling sausage casserole/cassoulet recipe for the slow cooker. Yummy and fairly healthy, guaranteed to be a big hit with all the family.