- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
A Quick and Easy Recipe for Fruit Pizza
Pizza is truly one of those delicious and versatile foods you can do almost anything with. It makes an awesome lunch or dinner, who doesn’t like cold pizza for breakfast? Experimenting with pizza is always a fun activity in my household, and something that the kids enjoy taking part in. We have made all sorts of fun combinations, from mac & cheese pizza with chopped hot dogs on top, to chicken mole pizza with pico de gallo and queso fresco.
In this recipe, pizza is taken from the realm of dinner to dessert, breakfast or brunch. It is quick and easy to make, using ready-made ingredients like cookie dough for the crust and flavored cream cheese for the “sauce.” It is easy enough for anyone, with any level of culinary skill to make, but the results are quite impressive. This fruit pizza not only looks like a work of art, but it is absolutely delicious!
This recipe uses sliced kiwi and strawberries, which are a delicious combination. However, you could use pretty much any fruit combination you like. Berries, such as blueberries, raspberries and blackberries can be used whole and make a nice inclusion. You may also use a variety of sliced fruits. If you decide to use fruits that tend to turn brown after slicing, such as bananas, be sure to sprinkle with lemon juice immediately after slicing and before placing on the pizza, to help prolong the oxidation process. I would suggest, if using this type of fruit, that the pizza be consumed within a day, as the fruit may not last for longer than this. When using longer-lasting fruits, this pizza will last for 2-3 days if wrapped in plastic and refrigerated.
You may also note that pineapple-flavored cream cheese is used for the "sauce" of the pizza. I think the pineapple flavor combines very nicely with the strawberries and kiwi, but you could easily substitute any sweet-flavored cream cheese if you have trouble finding pineapple, or would simply prefer another flavor.
Fruit Pizza Recipe
- 1 1lb tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 8oz tub pineapple flavored cream cheese, at room temperature
- Strawberries and kiwis, thinly sliced
- Shredded coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using your hands, press the cookie dough into the pizza pan, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. Set aside and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly over the crust.
- Arrange the sliced fruit attractively around the crust.
- Drizzle the fruit with the honey, then sprinkle with coconut if desired.
- Serve immediately, or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Eat within 2-3 days.