A Step-By-Step Guide on How to Make Kale Chips
I will be giving you step-by-step instructions on how to make Kale Chips. Kale Chips are a low calorie snack that is much healthier than regular potato chips, and they taste great as well.
Kale is the leading source of beta-carotene, the antioxidant that is hailed by nutritionists for its aid against cancer and heart disease. It is chocked full of Vitamin A and Calcium, as well as Vitamin C, Folic Acid, Vitamin B6, Manganese, and Potassium. Kale, alongside Broccoli, is one of the heathiest vegetables out there.
- 1 Bunch Kale
- 2-3 TBSP Cooking Oil
- Sea Salt
- Pepper (Optional)
- Shredded Asiago Cheese (Optional)
In preparation for making Kale Chips you will also need a Baking Pan, preferably a low sided one, Parchment Paper, a Small Knife, a Cutting Board, and a Salad Spinner (if you don't have one you'll need a Clean Cloth or Towel).
The yield will vary depending how large the Kale Bunch you are using is. Normally with a decent sized Kale Bunch you will be able to get 6-8 servings out of it.
1) Wash the Kale thoroughly to clean off any dirt that might have accumulated on it. Also, remove any dead or dying leaves that you find.
2) It is advised that you dry the Kale before you cook it. A quick way to do this is if you have Salad Spinner. If not, you can pat the Kale dry with a clean cloth or towel.
3) Preheat the oven to 275 F (135 C)
4) Using the Small Knife and the Cutting Board, cut the Kale leaves from the main large stem. You can then cut the Kale leaves into any sized pieces that you prefer. Be aware that the Kale will go down in size when cooked.
5) Cover the bottom of the Baking Pan with the Parchment Paper. Lay out the Kale on the Baking Pan, hopefully filling the entire pan. If it doesn't fill the whole pan make sure the Kale is evenly laid out.
6) Drizzle the Cooking Oil over the Kale evenly. Sprinkle the Sea Salt to your desired amount. Sprinkle on the Pepper if you have chosen to use it, and add on any other spices or ingredients you want (Ex. Shredded Cheese). For my Kale Chips I added shredded Asiago Cheese.
7) After the oven has preheated and you have finished adding all the ingredients to the Kale, place it in the oven onto either the middle or bottom rack, depending on whether you have 2 or 3 racks in your oven. Set the timer for 45 minutes. If you want crunchier Kale Chips you may set the timer for 50 minutes.
Tip: For faster cooking you can raise the temperature of the oven but be careful not to burn your Kale Chips.
8) When the Kale Chips have finished cooking set them aside to cool for a few minutes. Dig in and enjoy!
Hopefully these steps on how to make Kale Chips are easy to follow. Good luck making them! I hope they come out as good for you as they did for me!