- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southern European Cuisine
How to Cook an Authentic Italian Fritatta
My wife and I are first generation Italians and our parents both emigrated from a town in southern Italy called San Ferdinando di Puliga. We would like to share this recipe for an authentic Italian frittata that is very easy to make and is very versatile.
This recipe will make a beautiful golden brown frittata with an onion and zucchini filling. It has a trick involved in it, where both sides are cooked by flipping the frying pan. You may also use many other fillings, like potatoes, sausage, asparagus, and broccoli, just to name a few.
Click here for a You Tube video I made to familiarize you with the process and then come back here to follow the recipe.Fittata Recipe
You can also print this hub page and keep the recipe for reference. Below is a map of where our parents are from and the recipe follows.
San Ferdinando di Pulgia Italy
- 9 Large eggs, or equivalent egg substitue
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 medium size onion
- One half cup Milk
- One half cup Romano cheese, Grated
- To taste Salt and pepper
- Canola oil, To cover bottom of frying pan
- Eight inch Fry pan, Non-stick
- One Dinner plate, To hold fritatta when it is flipped
Chop the Onion and Zucchini
- Dice the onions with a large dice and put them in a bowl large enough to hold both the diced onions and the chopped zucchini.
- Wash the zucchini, cut the ends off and coarsely chop. Add them to the bowl
Prepare the Egg Mixture
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, and grated cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Beat well
- Add 1/2 cup of milk and beat well.
Prepare the egg mixture
Cooking the Mixture
- Place the frying pan on high heat and add oil, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the vegetables to the hot oil.
- Sauté the vegtables until the onions become translucent.
- Pour in the eggs and mix slowly with the vegetables.
- Using a wooden spoon, move the mixture from the edge of the pan to the center. Keep the eggs stirring around as the mixture cooks.
- When the eggs looked scrambled and are caramelized on the bottom, switch to medium heat.
- Keep the mixture moving to prevent sticking.
- When the mixture reaches the golden brown desired color, place the dinner dish over the mixture
- Hold the plate over the pan and flip the pan and the plate upside down.
- Slide the uncooked side to the bottom of the fry pan and continue cooking until it gets caramelized.
- When done, slide the frittata onto a serving plate.
- Enjoy your frittata and buon appetite.
Here Is the You Tube video link, it you haven't looked at it yet. Frittata Recipe
It is recommended that you print this recipe by clicking on the print button on your browser.
I hope you have enjoyed this little walk through Italy. It is one of those old world recipes that is passed on from generation to generation. We have shared this recipe with friends and family for years and it has always been a success. As was stated earlier, you can use just about any kind of left-overs as filling, including potatoes, sausage, asparagus, and broccoli. It can be served cold for lunch, like a quiche or even as an appetizer. Buonappetito! Don't forget to rate this recipe by using the rating stars below.