A delicious Christmas Pie Recipe
Christmas, the birth of Jesus Christ is celebrated every year on 25 December. Many people celebrate this day by decorating their homes, Christmas trees, visiting family or friends and exchanging gifts.
During the Christmas Day dinner, it is a tradition in the English speaking world to serve a fruit-based mincemeat sweet pie to the guests. Christmas pie has several names like mince pie, mutton pie and shrid pie. Some people like to purchase ready-made Christmas pie from the market. But some people want to taste home-made Christmas pie especially prepared by their mum or granny. Home-made Christmas pie is modestly pretty and its intense sweetness is balanced by the crumbly fresh pastry. But it is not easy to make a Christmas pie at home. If you want to surprise your dearest one during the Christmas celebration, you can try it as per following recipe.
- 500g sausage meat or skinned sausages
- 500g chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 500g short crust pastry, pack ready-made
- 100g white breadcrumbs, fresh
- 100g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 85g apricots, ready-to-eat dried and chopped
- 50g chestnut, canned or vacuum packed, chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme, fresh, dried and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- egg, beaten
- knob butter
- Gas burner
- Frying pan
- Tart tin
- Baking Sheet
- Set up oven temperature at 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Cook 1 tbsp olive oil and butter in a frying pan, then add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until the mixture is softened. Cool slightly. Pour the sausage meat, bread crumbs, lemon zest, chestnuts, apricots and thyme into a bowl. Add the onion, cranberries, plenty of pepper and a little salt. Mix all with your hands properly.
- Cut each chicken breast lengthwise into three fillets and spice all over with salt and pepper. Fry the chicken fillets quickly until browned, by using the remaining olive oil in the frying pan. It will take about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Two-thirds of the pastry will be rolled out to line a 20 to 23 cm spring form or deep loose, based on tart tin. Half the sausage mix has to press and spread to level. Add the chicken pieces in one layer. Pour the rest of the sausage and press down lightly.
- Remaining pastry will be rolled out. The edges of the pastry will be brushed up by beaten egg and cover with the pastry lid. Pinch the edges to seal and then trim. Brush the top of the pie with egg and roll out the trimmings to make holy leaf shapes and berries. Decorate the pie and brush again with the beaten egg.
- Place the tin on a baking sheet and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Then cool it in the tin for 15 minutes. Remove it from the tin and cool it completely. A delicious Christmas pie is ready now. Cut it into 10 to 12 pieces and serve this yummy pie with salad and pickles.
|Calories from Fat||252|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 28 g||43%|
|Saturated fat 21 g||105%|
|Carbohydrates 78 g||26%|
|Sugar 8 g|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 17 g||34%|
|Sodium 1 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Burn Off Those Calories:
Now people are very much conscious about their health. They always try to burn off extra calories. After eating Christmas pie, anyone can burn off 216 calories by doing any of the following exercises –
Walking 157 minutes
Running 65 minutes
Cycling 43 minutes
Swimming 52 minutes
Readers don't hesitate. Just get ready to make a delicious Christmas Pie at your home during upcoming Christmas celebration and give surprise to your dearest one. I hope this recipe will be helpful to you and your friends. So share it as much as you can.