- Food and Cooking
The Gnocchi Poutine | A Fusoin of Italian And French Canadian Culinary Culture
Gnocchi, The Heavyweight Pasta
Gnocchi. That lovely potato/pasta dumpling enjoyed by Italian food enthusiasts world wide. It is my favorite pasta dish. Extremely filling, Gnocchi is a very satisfying morsel of yummy goodness with a lovely texture. Beware, overindulgence of Gnocchi will give you a sore tummy!
Poutine, When Fries Alone Just Won't Cut It
A delicious combination of fries, curd cheddar cheese and gravy with an interesting inception. Invented in Deepest, Frenchest, French Canada (Quebec) by accident and enjoyed by all who eat it ever since.
Hmm.... Italian, Or Fast Food?
What if you took a dish like say... oh I don't know, poutine, and replaced the fries with Gnocchi?
You'd have a delicious meal that could satisfy an army of soccer playing, fast food and pasta loving kids. So boil up some Gnocchi then fry them up for color and taste. Throw in a bunch of curd cheese, add the gravy and voila, you have yourself an "Gnocchi Poutine".
I tried it this prior to writing this hub and it was fantastic! It was a little bland looking on my plate so i added some red chili flakes for color and some Parmesan cheese for taste. The texture was lovely! It kind of tasted like a regular poutine.
- 2 cups Curd Cheddar, Hard to find unless you live in Quebec or north eastern U.S.A. You can sub with cheddar chunks.
- 2 cups Gnocchi
- 1 cup Gravy
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
- Add Gnocchi, They are cooked when they float to the top. Don't overcook them, they will turn to mush. If they've boiled longer than four minutes they are overdone.
- Strain Gnocchi and flash fry to remove water and add a little colour. While gnocchi are frying up you should heat up the gravy if you haven't done so yet.
- Combine Gnocchi, cheese and gravy in a bowl.
- Serve, add chili flakes or Parmesan cheese to taste, and enjoy!
Have you ever tried this?
- A Québecois delicacy: La Poutine
A French-Canadian delicacy enjoyed by many, the Poutine. No, not Vladymir... this one is much better. A dish of fries, cheese and gravy, all mashed together to make a damn mess or 'une maudite poutine' Read it, try it, enjoy it (occasionally, please)
- Everything you need to know about poutine
Note: If you find this information useful, please link to this page. Thank you! ...JawnFC's thoughts about the greatest meal on this planet: Poutine. Introduction of the poutine Hello food world! I really want to share one of the...
- Seasoned Fries How-to and Recipe
Seasoned Frys Recipe and How-To. New Mexican style cooking and food. New Mexico information.
© 2012 Ardot