Advantages and Disadvantages of Organic Foods
What is Organic Food
There have been debates about whether or not organic food is better than conventional food. Before one can decide to go for organic food instead of conventional food, he or she must weigh the advantages and disadvantages of organic and non-organic foods. In this article we will look at the advantages and disadvantages of organic foods. But before doing that we want to first understand the term organic food.I did not understand the term until recently.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), organic food includes:
- crops that are produced without using most conventional pesticides, fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge, bioengineering or ionizing radiation
- Meats, poultry, eggs and dairy products from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones.
Organic foods include fruits, vegetables, fishes,diary products and meats that are not processed or refined. Although pesticides fight against pests and help maximize profit, they cause many implications to the health of consumers. To reduce the risk of health problems associated with chemical riddled foods, organic foods have emerged as the alternative choice. Organic foods are produced using natural fertilizers; manure and farming systems which help conserve soil and water. Now that we have an understanding of what food should be labelled organic, we want to look at the advantages and disadvantages of organic foods.
Advantages of Organic Foods
Organic foods have many advantages which make them better than conventional foods. Below are some benefits that one can derive from organic foods.
- Organic foods help prevent certain diseases such as Cancer, stroke and other heart diseases. Research has shown that organic fruits and vegetables contain about 40% more antioxidants than non-organic fruits and vegetables which reduces the risk of cancer, stroke and heart diseases. Organic foods also contain salicylic acids which help prevent hardening of arteries and cancer.
- Organic foods protect the environment from pollution since chemicals which cause environmental pollution are not used in cultivating organic crops. Example certain chemicals when used in crop production will kill the micro organisms or even pollute nearby water bodies. Organic soils contain more micro organisms than conventional soils. These micro organisms store carbon in the soil which helps to maintain the global climate. Organic farming helps to conserve the soil and water.
- Another advantage of organic foods is that they have good taste and increased nutritious values as compared to non-organic foods. Organic foods have natural flavor since they do not contain additives which gives non-organic foods a different taste. According to recent studies of benefits of organic foods, it was found that organic foods contain more mineral salts and other healthy chemicals than non-organic foods.
- Organic foods have a better effect on animal reproduction than it had on non-organic foods. Research performed on animals revealed that animals which fed on organic food were able to reproduce more than those which were fed non-organic food. One of the causes of infertility in mammals such as we humans is due to the large intake of chemical riddled food. Example it was found that birds which normally eat organic food have a higher production rate of eggs than those which feed on non-organic foods.
- Organic foods help you to control or even lose unnecessary weight. The preservatives that are added to most foods such as canned food causes the consumers to gain unwanted weight. So one of the ways people use today to control weight is by watching their diet. They stop eating non-organic foods.
Disadvantages of Organic Foods
Although organic foods have many advantages, they also have disadvantages which are given below:
1. Organic foods are very expensive as compared to non-organic foods.This is because majority of farmers only produce conventional foods. Also most farmers and food producers want to maximize profit, by using chemicals to increase the size and quantity of their produce. The cost of production of non-organic foods is less as compared to that of organic foods which results in a lower price for non-organic foods than the price of organic foods.
2. Organic foods don't last long since they do not contain preservatives. Non-organic foods last longer than organic foods. Preservatives help food manufacturers and at times consumers to store food for longer time which helps them to save money.
3. Another disadvantage of organic foods is the limited selection of organic products available in some areas. Some places do not have a variety of organic foods to choose from. That means even though certain people can afford to buy organic foods they are unable to get organic food of their choice due to scarcity of organic foods in such areas.
From the advantages and disadvantages stated above, it can be seen that the advantages of organic foods are more than the disadvantages. Some of these disadvantages can even be eliminated.Based upon these facts, I fully support the growing and eating of organic foods.
Types Of Organic Foods
Organic foods can be classified as follows:
• Organic Vegetables and Fruits: These are vegetables and fruits which have been produced by organic agriculture. You don’t add chemicals like pesticides, inorganic fertilizers to produce them. They are natural and fresh.
• Organic Dairy Products: Dairy products which are classified as organic are produced from animals which are raised by organic means. They are safe to use and help keep the body healthy. Organic dairy products include products like milk, ice cream, butter and cheese.
• Organic Fish and Meat: Fishes are considered to be organic if they are reared in fish ponds so that they are fed with organic food. Since fishes found in water bodies such as seas and rivers sometimes feed on inorganic food, they are not considered as organic fishes. Organic meat is produced by animals which are fed 100% organic or natural food. They are not genetically modified. They are not given any hormone stimulants that may cause them to grow bigger.
How to get cheap Organic Food
- Buy organic foods directly from farmers. When you buy directly from farmers, the cost will not be as high as buying from the retailers. Also it is fresher than buying from shops which keep those organic foods for days before someone buys. You could ask them for discount.
- Buy in bulk. Normally when you buy in bulk the price is lower than buying in bulk. You will also save yourself time and money for transport. However be sure to check the price of buying in bulk to ascertain whether or not it is cheaper to buy in bulk before going into it.
- Buy organic foods at their peak season. During the peak season of organic foods you can get organic food at a cheaper price. During that season buy in bulk and store.
- If you can’t find the organic food you want to buy in your local area, then buy it online. There are various places you can buy organic food online from. Some places where you could buy organic foods online are: naturalnews.com; nuts.com; Amazon.com; mercola.com and Tropical conditions.
- Grow organic crops yourself. This I believe is the best way to obtain organic food always and at a cheaper price. You can start a small backyard garden. You will be amazed at the amount of money you will save. Get seeds from agriculture shops which sell organic seeds. If you want to grow your own organic foods then you need to visit this site.