- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
A Great Elk Chili Recipe
Goes great with Venison or Elk
Deer or Elk Chili
- Championship Deer or Elk Chili
- A great chili recipe of Deer and Elk cooked in my dutch ovens as they hold the flavor in the meat and vegetables.
3 lbs. of choice-cut, bite-size Venison or Elk cutlets
3 to 4 spoons of chili powder
4 spoons of bacon grease
One can of beef stock
One-third cup of diced garlic
One yellow onion, diced finely
Two spoons of diced cumin
One spoon of ground oregano
Two spoons of salt
One-half cup of paprika
Five finely chopped cilantro sprigs
One can of tomato paste
- Fry six pieces of bacon in a large Dutch Oven and set the bacon aside.
- Brown half of the venison in the bacon grease (eight minutes, until the pink is gone) and transfer all content into a large pot, adding all of the chili powder.
- Set to simmer.
- Repeat this bacon grease browning process with the rest of the Venison or Elk.
- With all the meat now in the pot simmering, add the can of beef stock plus just enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce from boil to simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes uncovered before adding all of the rest of the ingredients, including the crumbled bacon.
- Simmer uncovered until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally to keep the bottom of the pot clear.
- Fat on the surface is low with lean Venison or Elk, but skim out what there is.
- Continue to simmer for 30 minutes past the point of tender meat.
- This serves about eight with shredded cheese on top.
- It is a true Texas Red chili, which does not call for beans mixed into it,but I like beans added in mine.
- Eat it with warm, buttered tortillas. Serves 8-10
High Country Camp
Wild Game Chili
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 pounds venison,elk or wild hog or 1 1/2 pound each, ground or in small cubes
- 1 quart water
- 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 1 Tablespoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 2/3 cup Chili Mix
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal or masa flour.
Sauté bacon and onion in skillet until onions are transparent and bacon is slightly browned. Add meat and sear.
Mix in saucepan 1-1/2 cup water, green chilies, cumin and chili mix. Simmer until it reaches gravy consistency. Add remaining water, tomato juice, and hot pepper sauce. Pour in pan and place in smoker. Smoke-cook for at least 4 to 6 hours at 225°F.
Before serving stir in cornmeal or masa flour to thicken and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with any variety of beans and flour tortillas
Simple Mexican breakfast
There are many versions of huevos rancheros, some with cheese, beans or grilled chiles. The most authentic way to make huevos rancheros is very simple, eggs and salsa, served with corn tortillas. Huevos rancheros are a Mexican tradition.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 4 corn tortillas
- salt to taste
Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees. Coat each tortilla in oil and place on cookie sheet. When oven is ready, cook for approximately 5-10 minutes, depending on how crisp you like your tortillas.
Heat oil in small frying pan, cook each egg slowly on one side until whites are firm and yolks are runny. Salt to taste. Place one egg on each tortilla.
Heat salsa in the pan on high heat for about 2 minutes or until extremely hot. Pour 1/4 cup over the top of each egg which will further cook the top of the egg. Let it sit for about 1 minute before serving.
More Chili Recipes
Recipe - Bowl of Red - Chili Con Carne
2 pounds lean coarsely ground beef or venison
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water or beer
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds or ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 tablespoon TABASCO® brand Habanero Sauce
2 tablespoons TABASCO® brand Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce
Cook meat in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until
brown, about 10 minutes, stirring to break up chunks. Pour off excess
if any. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
Stir in tomato sauce, water, seasonings, TABASCO® Habanero Sauce, and
TABASCO® Green Sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer
or until meat is tender and flavorings are blended, stirring occasionally
and adding more water, if needed.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Chili - Beefy Baked Stuffed Chiles
1-1/2 cups coarsely crushed nacho cheese tortilla chips
2 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chiles
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese
1-1/2 pounds ground chuck
Salt and pepper, optional
1 pound pasteurized prepared cheese product
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
In a blender or by hand, crush tortilla chips, place in a large flat bowl or
tray and set aside.
Drain green chiles, place on a paper towel and pat dry. Cut cream cheese
into 6 lengthwise strips. Stuff 1 strip of cream cheese into each whole
Divide ground chuck into 6 equal portions. On a piece of wax paper, pat out
the beef portions into thin wedge shapes. Sprinkle beef wedges with desired
amount of salt and pepper.
Place a stuffed green chile on each beef wedge. Roll beef around chile and
roll to seal edges and top. Roll each beef roll in the ground tortilla chips
until thoroughly coated.
Place beef rolls in glass casserole dish and bake in 450-degree oven for at
least 25 minutes or until beef is completely done.
While beef rolls are cooking, prepare a double boiler with water and bring
to boiling. Cut processed cheese into cubes and add the canned tomatoes and
chiles in pan. Melt cheese, stirring frequently.
Remove beef rolls to a serving plate and pour the cheese mixture over the
top. Sprinkle remaining crushed chips over the top. Serves 6.
Chili Recipe - BLACK AND WHITE BEAN CHILI
Made with black and white beans, this chili is uniquely accented in
and color with wn-dried tomatoes.
4 servings (about 11/4 cups each)
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
1/2 cup boiling water
Garlic-flavored vegetable cooking spray
12 ounces 95% lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 medium jalapeno chili, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2-3 tablespoons chili powder
1-11/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 bay leaf
2 cans (16 ounces each) reduced-sodium whole tomatoes, undrained,
1 can (151/ 2 ounces) Great Northern beans, rinsed, drained
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1. Cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water in small bowl; let
until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain; reserve liquid. Chop
2. Spray large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat
Cook ground beef, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno chili, and garlic
is browned and vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chili
and herbs; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
3 . Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and reserved liquid, and remain ing
ingredients, except salt, pepper, and cilantro. Heat to boiling;
and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf; season to taste
and pepper. Stir in cilantro.
Per Serving Calories: 305 % Calories from fat: 12 Fat (gm): 4.9
fat (gm): 1.2 Cholesterol (mg): 41.2 Sodium (mg): 770 Protein (gm):
Carbohydrate (gm): 52.4
Exchanges Milk: 0.0 Vegetable: 2.0 Fruit: 0.0
Bread: 2.0 Meat: 2.0 Fat: 0.0
Chili goes great with Spare Ribs
Smoked deer sausage,red beans and rice Pizza
1 12-inch prepared pizza crust
1 ½ cups chopped andouille or smoked Deer sausage
1 small onion, chopped
½ medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 16-ounce can red or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
½ tsp. ground red pepper, or as desired
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as desired
½ cup cooked white rice
8 oz. (2 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup chopped and seeded plum tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium, nonstick skillet placed over medium heat, sauté sausage for three to four minutes. Add beans, ground red pepper, salt and black pepper, stirring until heated through.
- Spread bean mixture over pizza crust; sprinkle with rice, cheese and tomatoes. Bake in preheated oven for eight to ten minutes or until cheese is melted.
Hot Mexican Food
Green Chili Bible
Mexican Chili Pepper
Best Chili Recipe
- Texas B.B.Q.Pork Spare Ribs
More delicious recipes