Adventures in Baking
Easy Honey 'Naan' (Indian Flat Bread) Recipe
Naan (flat bread) is a common delight in India. It is eaten with dry and wet vegetable or non-vegetarian preparations. Since I’ve figured out how to make it, I haven’t cooked chapatis! I love the softness and fluffiness which comes from the fresh yeast. The naan rises like bread, but not too much. The sweetness of the honey makes it good enough to eat by itself. It’s healthy too as I don’t use refined white flour. And the honey is nourishing too, I do use ghee in this recipe, while you can also use butter, but ghee is far healthier.
2 ½ cups wheat flour
1 tbsp. ghee (optional)
2 tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. fresh bread yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. salt
- Prepare yeast solution by warming half cup water – just warm, not hot or it will kill the live yeast. Add it to the fresh yeast. Stir to dissolve. Add honey, stir. Set aside. You should see bubbles or cloudiness in a few seconds.
- Mix the ghee into the flour. This is optional, but I like the flavour. Add salt.
- Add the yeast solution little by little, blending it in with your fingers. The dough shouldn’t be wet, but springy and soft. It shouldn’t be hard either. Knead for about 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a lid and leave for about half an hour.
- Gently knead the risen dough, make into four balls by rolling between palms.
- Leave the ball for 10 minutes for a second rising.
- Roll the balls out with a little flour to prevent them from sticking to the rolling board.
- Heat the griddle and roasting pan (tawa) on low flame. Keep the flame low throughout so the naans rise well and don’t burn.
- Roast the naans lightly on the tawa till they begin to bubble up. Then roast till golden brown on both sides. Notice them beginning to rise as they cook.
- Transfer the naans to the hot griddle and you will see them rise some more.
- When done, smear with a bit of ghee and serve hot along with curry of your choice.
Cook Time for Honey Naan
- Prep time: 45 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- Yields: Serves 2 people with 2 naans each
Ingredients for Indian Honey Naan
- 2 1/2 cups wheat flour, Unrefined flour
- 1 tbsp. ghee/melted butter, optional
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh bread yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. salt