- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
The Best and Famous Afritada Recipe
Afritada is one of famous Filipino stews characterized by the presence of tomato sauce, meat and some selected vegetables. It can be sometimes confused with kaldereta, mechado or even menudo, because it has similarities when it comes to the sauce and the variations of meat. Its origin can be rooted from the Spaniards who have a lot of influences to us especially when it comes to cooking.
You can actually use any types of meat when cooking afritada, but the most common variety of meat used in this type of stew is pork. So if you have plans to cook this for your meal later, here is the recipe of pork afritada:
You will need:
× 1 kilogram pork meat
× 1 piece carrot (sliced)
× 1 piece onion (minced)
× 2 pieces chili pepper (sliced diagonally)
× 3 pieces tomatoes
× 4 pieces potatoes (cut into 4 pieces)
× 1 tablespoon garlic
× 6 tablespoon vinegar
× 3 teaspoon salt
× ⅛ cup bread crumbs
× ½ cup tomato sauce
× cooking oil
Here’s how to cook:
1. Fill a big casserole with enough water and add the pork meat.
2. Let it boil for about an hour or so. Be sure that it tenderized before you remove and set aside. Note: Don’t throw the stock for it will be used later.
3. Pour enough cooking oil into a frying pan. Set fire into medium heat.
4. Sauté galic, onions and tomatoes for a few minutes.
5. Add the pork meat (cut into chunks) and fry until it turns brown all over.
6. Pour in some vinegar, tomato sauce and the stock that you set aside earlier. Let it boil for about 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Add the carrot and potatoes. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.
8. Add salt, pepper, bread crumbs. The bread crumbs will help thicken the sauce.
9. Turn off the fire and it’s time to serve it!
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- filipinofoods on HubPages
I'm a restaurant owner in Manila, Philippines. Cooking Filipino foods and other Asian dishes is my passion. I am proud of Filipino culture and have...