Air Buns--Giant Feathery-Light Bread Buns
Huge buns: oh-so-tender and light
Air buns are a special treat--a great menu item to serve when having company or to take to social events. These giant, feathery-light air buns are sure to please even the most jaded of appetites.
How do air buns differ from regular bread buns? Air buns rise and cook up to impressive heights, so they have the "wow factor" and are a crowd-pleaser at any time. These huge buns are very light and are wonderful served with cold cuts, cheeses or on their own with butter.
Air buns are are not difficult to make and when you want to add something special when entertaining, these impressive-looking buns will do the trick nicely.
Why not make some giant air buns the next time company's coming for dinner or print off and save this recipe so that you'll have it on hand for your holiday menu?
Air Buns Recipe
- 1 envelope yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup lard
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
When lard is melted, add yeast mixture + 2 tbsp. vinegar.
Add in 8-10 cups of white flour, one cup at a time, so that dough doesn't get stiff. Mix lightly. Grease with oil and set to rise.
- Let rise 2 hours. Punch down.
- Let rise 1 hour, punch down and form into balls. Place on greased baking sheet (don't place balls too close together).
- Let rise 3 hours.
- Bake 325-350 degrees for 15-30 minutes. Double pan and check bottoms so that they don't over-brown.
Had You Heard of Air Buns Before Reading This Hub?
Air Buns Tips
- Make sure to allow buns to rise for the specified time, as this is what helps these buns to gain their impressive size
- Double-pan so that buns bottoms do not over-brown when baking in oven
Have You Tried Making Air Buns?
Some air bun recipes call for the addition of vinegar, such as this one but you can make feathery light and huge buns with or without vinegar, if you follow directions. Both the vinegar and the rising time contributes to air buns' light consistency and size.
© 2008 Athlyn Green