- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
All-American Homemade Apple Pie
Please rate this recipe!
An American standard--warm and delicious apple pie. Welcome in fall by baking this treat for your family. Just a few simple steps!
- 6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2-3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Dash griund cloves
- 2 tbsp butter, cubed
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare a double crust pie pastry or use pre-made crusts. Place one of the 9" crusts in the bottom of the pie pan. Gently press into pan to remove bubbles. let edges drape over the edge of pie pan.
- Peel and slice your apples. Toss with the lemon juice, sugars, flour, and spices. Pour the apples into the prepared pie pan.
- Dot the top of the pie with the cubed butter. Gently top the pie with the remaining crust. Pinch and crimp the edges to seal. Brush the top of the pie with 1 beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. I like to use raw sugar for its texture. Cut a few slits in the crust to vent. Cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent burning.
- Place pie in 450 degree oven, bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 and continue baking for 50 minutes. Let pie cool completely before serving or else it will be extremely wet and runny on the inside. Serve with vanilla ice cream or just by itself.