Moist Almond and Orange Cake – A Gluten Free Cake Recipe
This almond and orange cake recipe is a real winner!
This orange and almond cake is no melt-in-the-mouth, fluffy, temperamental cake! This is a moist, satisfying cake with a deliciously fresh orange tang, but it's also a light, fat free cake and a gluten free cake, so perfect for people with special dietary requirements.
It's a cake that I make at Les Trois Chenes, our Bed and Breakfast in Videix, Limousin, France.because I love it, it's easy and reliable but also we do occasionally have guests who can't eat gluten or who would like a low fat meal and so this cake makes a perfect dessert for those occasions.
Thanks to my friend Sue for passing on this orange cake recipe, (passed on to her by her friend Susi).
Find other recipes, inlcuding my cherry clafoutis recipe in my on-line work-in-progress recipe book The Les Trois Chenes Cookbook (sorry but due to new Google 'rules' I can't leave links to these pages).
Orange and almond cake ingredients
- 2 large oranges
- 9oz / 250 g ground almonds
- 9oz / 250 g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder*
Oven gas mark 5, 190°c 375°F
Don't you just love it when the list of ingredients is so short and simple?
Is your baking powder gluten-free?
What is baking powder made from? Baking powder is composed of baking soda, cream of tartar and something to absorb moisture. This latter agent is often cornstarch which contains gluten. Make sure that you choose a baking powder which uses a gluten free starch like potato. Always check ingredients.
You can easily buy gluten free baking powder on line and I've picked out just three for you.
Gluten free baking powder on Amazon.com
How to make your orange and almond cake
- Simmer the oranges in water for two hours
- Drain and let them cool
- Grease and line a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin (see How to Line a Cake Tin)
- Whizz the oranges whole in a food processor (I mashed mine with a potato masher and, although not completely smooth, I thought this worked well and saved time and washing up
- Whisk 6 eggs in a bowl and fold in the other ingredients
- Pour into the tin and put into the oven at 190°c
- Bake for about an hour. The cake is cooked when you put a skewer into the middle of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool before you take it out of the tin
- Place on a cooling tray to cool
- This moist cake needs no decoration, but you can serve it with creme fraiche, yoghurt, ice-cream or any topping of your choice
- One of our circle of friends whips her cream with grated orange zest and cointreau. Divine.
Why not come and sample more of our recipes?
If you are thinking about your summer holidays 2011, why not join us in Videix. Enjoy the peace and quiet of this hidden corner of south west France. We are situated in the tiny hamlet of Videix, ten minutes from the historic medieval town of Rochechouart with its magnificent chateau, about half an hour from Saint Junien and La Rochefoucald and less than an hour from Limoges and Angouleme.
Enjoy good French food and wine, walking, swimming, fishing and cycling. Sunbathe, read or just do nothing at all! We have a Bed and Breakfast and a three star self catering holiday cottage or gite, and we also offer residential painting holidays. Interested? Have a look at our web site www.lestroischenes.com or drop me an e-mail at email@example.com
Did you notice that this is a fat free cake?
This orange cake recipe contains no oil, margarine or butter! Ideal if you're looking for a fat free cake recipe.
How to find us
Oranges are not the only fruit! More recipes from Les Trois Chenes
- Flognarde - Traditional Limousin Apple Dessert Recipe
Clafoutis and Flognarde are specialities of the Limousin and Auvergne region, and we serve this dish, along with other regional food and wine, at Les Trois Chenes chambres d'hotes, Limousin, France.
- Traditional English Christmas Cake Recipe
Every family has its own traditions, and non more so than a round Christmas. The tree decoration that came out year after year, the bowls of nuts on the sideboard, and the Christmas cake with icing and the...
- Apple Cake - a Limousin Speciality
A regional speciality of the Limousin, France, you can make this moist cake using either apples or pears. An apple cake is easy to make and very economical so we often serve it in our chambres d'hotes as a dessert. It looks pretty as a picture on our
- Best Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever for a Wickedly Moist French Dessert
This is a wonderfully moist chocolate cake and one of the best chocolate cake recipe ever! And its such an easy cake to make. This French recipe has been passed around my circle of friends and is definitely a winner with adults and kids alike. You m