- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Amazing flowing chocolate dessert recipe
If you want to create a dessert that will amaze your guests then this is the recipe for you.
A chocolate fondant (sometimes also known as a 'lava cake', 'flowing mudcake', 'chocolate bombe' or 'decadence cake') is an individual chocolate cake with a flowing chocolate centre.
When you press your spoon into the cake the centre oozes out. Whats more, this recipe is really easy - it just takes a bit of practice to get the timing right as this is affected by the heat of your oven and the size of each chocolate fondant cake.
Chocolate Fondant cooking instructions
Serves 2 large or 4 small
Chocolate Fondant Ingredients
- 50g good quality bitter chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), in pieces
- 1 free range egg
- 1 free range egg yolk
- 50g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 2 tsp cocoa powder, to dust
- 60g caster sugar
- 50g plain flour
- Icing sugar to dust
- Some good Vanilla ice cream to serve
1. Firstly preheat your oven to 160˚C/ 320˚F
2. Take two large ramekins, about 7.5cm in diameter, and lightly coat the inside with butter then dust liberally with cocoa, shaking out any excess cocoa.
3. Next, slowly melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl that has been placed over a pan of hot water, then take it off the heat and stir until it's smooth. Leave this mixture to cool for about 10 minutes.
4. Using an electric beater, whisk the egg, egg yolk and the sugar together until its appearance is pale and thick, and then mix in the chocolate and butter mixture. Sift the flour over the mixture and very gently fold the mixture in, using a metal spoon. Divide the mixture between the ramekins and bake for 12 minutes. (This time may be slightly different for you depending on your oven and the size of your ramekins. For example, I use 4 small metal ramekins and cook them for 7 minutes at 200˚C/ 400˚F)
5. Gently turn the ramekins upside down and turn the chocolate fondant out onto a warmed plate. Lightly dust the tops of your chocolate fondant with icing sugar and serve with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream.