American Southwestern Fried Cornbread "Salad": A Solution for Leftover Rice
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 30 min
Ready in: 35 min
Yields: Serves 4
- 1 8.5 ounce boxed cornbread mix
- 1/3 cup original coconut milk (for cornbread mix)
- 1 large brown egg (for cornbread mix)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 corn on the cob
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of minced garlic (optional)
- bottled ranch dressing (your favorite brand)
Relax, it's easy.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Add 1/3 cup of original flavor coconut milk (or milk), 1 large brown egg and 1/2 cup of shredded monterey jack cheese to the boxed cornbread mix (I LOVE boxed cornbread for some reason. Must be nostalgia.) Salt and pepper as much or as little as you please. Mix until the batter is thick, yet slightly lumpy. Perfect. Make sure to butter or oil the pan before pouring in the batter.
- In a hot skillet with olive oil, add 1/2 green pepper (chopped), 1/2 red onion (chopped)and 1 clove of garlic (minced).
- This recipe was designed for an abundance of leftover rice. If you don't have leftover rice, cook 2 cups of basmati rice. If you have leftovers, add 2 cups of the rice into the hot skillet with the green pepper, red onion and garlic. Reduce the heat and let the veggies mingle and caramelize.
- By the time your veggies and rice are looking yummy, your cornbread should be coming out of the oven. When the cornbread is firm on top and golden brown around the edges, remove it from the oven and place it on the counter to cool a bit.
- Since the cornbread is cooling, get started on the salad. It's a super simple salad... with bottled ranch dressing (a guilty pleasure). Chop 2 cups of romaine lettuce and place in a medium sized bowl.Add a teaspoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt, a pinch of fresh cracked black pepper and a teaspoon of ranch dressing. Toss the salad. Cover the salad and place it in the fridge.
- The cornbread should be cool enough to work with now. Flip the cornbread pan upside down, onto a cutting board. The cornbread should be dense and hold up to the torture. Cut the cornbread into 2" x 2" squares.
- Fill a medium size pot half way with water, to boil the corn. Season the water with salt. Once the water is boiling, insert the 3 ears of corn and let boil for 7 minutes. When it's finished, season 2 cobs with butter, salt and pepper. Cut the corn off of the 3rd cob and add it to the skillet with green pepper, red onion, garlic and rice.
- Heat another skillet. Add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil. Let it heat up. Once the skillet appears hot, add the squares of cornbread. The cornbread squares will take roughly a minute, on each side, to brown up and get delicious.
- Now you're ready to plate! Place a mound of the rice mixture near the middle of the plate. Add a mound of the lettuce mixture right beside the rice. Put 2 squares of fried cornbread on top of the salad mixture, garnishing with shredded monterey jack cheese. Cut the corn cobs in half and place two halves on each plate.