An Easy and Delicious Stir Fry Asparagus with Bacon
Green or White Asparagus
Asparagus is in season now. You can choose from the green color or the white color of asparagus. Stir frying in a wok or in a frying pan is an easy and a quick method in cooking them. Generally, I use the green asparagus as I like it much more than the white one. In my recipe you don´t need a lot of vegetables. Carrots and the green asparagus are the only vegetables I use besides the scallions, chopped onions, garlic and of course the bacon which make this recipe delicious to eat.
- 250 grams asparagus, green and sliced
- 2 pieces carrots, sliced
- 1 small piece onion, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into small cubes
- 90´-100 gram bacon, cut into stripes or cubes
- 1 piece scallion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt, if needed
- a bit of white or black pepper, ground
- a bit of chili (optional)
"Asparagus inspires gentle thoughts"— Charles Lamb
Preparing the Ingredients
- Cut the hard and thicker stem of the asparagus. Just wash the asparagus and cut them into 3 or into half. Depends on how long they are. You don´t need to peel the asparagus.
- Peel the carrots, wash them and slice them into the size you want to have them. You can cut them into julliene, cubes or round, it´s up to your liking.
- Peel off the onion and slice it into cubes.
- Peel of the garlic and slice them into tiny cubes.
- Cut off the stem of the scallion, wash it and slice it into small rounds.
- Cut the bacon into stripes.
- Heat the wok or the frying pan in a moderate heat.
- When the wok or the pan is heated, put the vegetable oil in it.
- Then fry the sliced bacon until golden brown. Set aside on a plate.
- Using the same oil, saute the garlic and onion until the onion is looking transparent.
- Add the clean and sliced green asparagus in the wok. Stir while frying.
- Then add the sliced carrots to the asparagus. Keep on stirring.
- Then put the lid on the wok after stirring the mixture. Wait a bit until the vegetables are tender but still crispy.
- When the vegetables are done, add the set aside bacon.
- Keep on stir frying, add the sliced scallion, soy sauce and the ground pepper. Add salt if it is needed. Add chili if you want it hot.
- Then put off the wok. Serve with cooked rice or boiled potatoes.
Facts about green asparagus
- Green asparagus grows above the ground while the white asparagus grows in a small mounds of soil and doesn´t need any light.
- Green asparagus doesn´t need a lot of time in cooking. At least 5 minutes.
- It contains more vitamin C than the white asparagus.
- It is lesser woody and more aromatic compared to the white one.
- Just wash, peel if needed and cut the green asparagus before freezing. Defrost them by putting them in a hot water. It is very easy when making an asparagus soup.
Green asparagus grows above the ground while the white asparagus grows in a small mounds of soil and doesn´t need any light
- Buy fresh asparagus for this recipe. The fresher the asparagus, the better.
- If you don´t like the carrots in this recipe, you can use red, yellow or green bell peppers. The colors give the vibrant look of the food. Remember, the eyes "eat", too.
- You can add more bacon in this recipe if you want to.
- Double the ingredients of this recipe if cooking for 6 to 8 persons.
- Pasta can also be served with this asparagus stir fry. I usually use Tagliatelle or Fettuccine noodles instead of cooked rice or boiled potatoes.
- Instead of using scallion, you can use parsley.
- Of course you can use the white asparagus instead of the green one. You just have to peel off the skin from the top tip to the bottom of the white asparagus by using a peeler. When frying, make sure that the white asparagus becomes golden brown.
© 2019 Thelma Alberts