- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
An Illustrated recipe to make Mattar (Peas) , Mushroom , Makhana (Foxnut) : The 3 M recipe
Why you should cook these foods more often !
- Mushrooms ( a powerful yet neglected ingredient because of its appearance and the fact that it is a fungus) are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium (8%), riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more (Source : mushroominfo.com)
- Mattar (Green peas) are one of the most nutritious leguminous vegetables rich in health benefiting phyto-nutrients, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants. (Source : http://www.nutrition-and-you.com)
- Makhane (Foxnut) is a herb which has antioxidant properties and helps in digestion, rejuvenates respiratory system.
- 1 cup Mushrooms, diced
- 3/4 cup Green peas
- 11/2 cup Makhana (Foxnut)
- 1/4 cup Cashewnuts, whole
- 4-5 Kali mirch (Peppercorn), whole
- 3-4 Elaichi (cardamom), whole
- 2 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 medium Tomato, chopped
- 5-6 pods Garlic
- 1/4 inch Ginger, chopped
- 2 Green chilli, chopped
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 2 tsp Dhania powder (coriander powder)
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Kitchen king masala
- Roast the makhana (foxnut) in Oil / ghee and keep aside.
Chop mushroom in medium pieces . Sauté in oil / ghee till half done. Add some salt at this stage. Keep aside.
Put cashew nuts and milk in grinder. Grind till it becomes a smooth paste. side by side grind peppercorns and cardomom with a mortar and pestle.
Take Oil / ghee in a pan. Add jeera to it. Next add, chopped onion , tomato , garlic , ginger and green chillies to it and let it cook till oil separates.
After this add the cashewnut paste to the onion tomato paste and stir well.
Add peas to the tomato onion paste. Add the masalas (salt, red chilli powder , dhania powder , garam masala and kitchen king masala). Let the mixture cook till peas are half cooked.
To this paste add the grind-ed peppercorns and cardamom.
Add sauteed mushrooms and makhana (foxnuts) to this and let it cook till tender.
Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of garam masala and fresh chopped coriander and let it cook for 2 -3 mins. Turn off the flame. Serve hot with pooris or chapatis.
Rate this dish
Makhana as a snack
Makhana can also be had for snacking specially during Navratra Vrat .
On how to use it alternatively follow the below link.
- roasted makhana or phool makhana recipe | lotus seeds or foxnuts
roasted makhana recipe - we generally use makhana or phool makhana during fasting. makhana when roasted, puffs up and have a neutral taste. you can spice it up the way you want.
Makhana Kaju curry recipe
I also happen to find this recipe with makhana as main ingredient (In case you do not wish to add mushrooms and peas to your dish).
Follow the link below to read the recipe.
- मखाना काजू करी - Makhana Kaju curry recipe - Phool Makhana Curry - Kaju Makhana Curry
मखाना काजू करी रिच ग्रेवी के साथ बनी हुई बहुत ही स्वादिष्ट सब्जी है, मखाना काजू करी को किसी भी पार्टी के लिये बनाया जा सकता है. Read Makhana Kaju curry recipe in Hindi. Also known as Makhana Kaju Curry, Lotus seeds cashew nuts curry recipe, makhana k
The above recipe can be made without adding Makhana to it . It can be a simple dish with basic ingredients which can be served with other Indian curries or Dal.
Check out the below link for a similar recipe. (Source : Recipe House)
How to make delicious mattar mushroom
Tip # 1
This recipe is supposed to be rich and thick. (I cooked in oil as I wanted a low fat version). If you are not weight conscious or are cooking for some important guests cook the dish in ghee and instead of cashewnut paste you can add fresh cream to make it more rich. Also you can add boiled raisins to the dish to add a different flavor.
Tip # 2
Play with your dish ! Add a variation to it. Instead of makhana you can have baby corn to this dish. Add more spice to it and you are ready with your own signature dish - Crispy corn with mushroom and peas in red curry. Voila ! Enjoy !
Makhana as an ingredient
How do you like to use makhana in your recipe
© 2015 parulkapoor