An "Out of the box" Chicken recipe for dinner that's easy: Roman Chicken
Excellent taste and easy step-by-step instructions
Instructions-Here we go!
1) Start with the chicken-gather the breasts and slice them in half lengthwise, giving you 6 pieces altogether. Drizzle all pieces with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sautee the chicken in a frying pan. Cook until you have browned both sides of all pieces and then take them out and place aside.
*Tip-I use a non-stick frying pan, so no need to coat the pan because you coated the chicken with the oil.
2) Using the same pan, add the onions, peppers and pancetta cooking on medium. You may need to add some oil at this point, but not too much as you will get some fat drippings from the pancetta. Stir and cook until onions are gold and peppers begin to soften.
3) Add the tomatoes, wine, oregano and thyme on medium-high heat. Stir and add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.
*Tip if you are not sure about how much salt, pepper and sugar always start small-about 1/4 tsp. each. You can always add more, but it is nearly impossible to fix an over salted sauce. Keep in mind that you will be adding chicken stock in the next step which adds a bit of saltiness.
4) Watch for the sauce to begin to evaporate, about 10 minutes or so, then begin to slowly add the chicken stock. Continue to cook until you see the sauce starting to take on a thicker appearance.
5) Reduce the heat to low/medium low and you can add back the chicken and continue to cook uncovered another 10 minutes or so. Since the chicken was halved, it was mostly cooked in the beginning step, but I always check it with a thermometer to be sure before I remove it from the pan. Poultry should be at least 165 degrees.
Enjoy! I served this dish with a side dish of broccoli risotto, which I will share with you in the future as well.
- 3 Boneless Chicken Breasts, Sliced in half-lengthwise
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 10 Mini sweet peppers, Sliced and seeded
- 4 ounces Pancetta, Diced
- 1/2 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 26 oz. Chopped Italian Tomatoes, I recommend Pomi
- 1 tbs. Thyme, Fresh or dry
- 1 tbs. Oregano, Fresh or dry
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Parsley, Fresh is best-chopped
- 2 tbs. Sugar