Apple Cinnamon Candy
Here's a simple apple cinnamon candy recipe that uses tasty cinnamon candies like Red Hots to give it a zesty flavor. They are easy to make but take a while to complete. Using unsweetened applesauce and a lot of sugar, these treats are fairly healthy compared to many other candies and very sweet.
Once you've got the mixture made up it takes a long time to cook. You might want some TV to watch or something while stirring for all that time. Let them cool before cutting and serving. If you want to make things festive you can use cookie cutters to cut the candies into fun shapes. Enjoy these tasty apple cinnamon candies!
- 1 quart unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cinnamon candies, (red hots)
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbs gelatin, (1 envelope)
- powdered sugar, (for rolling)
- Measure out 1/2 cup of the applesauce and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine remaining applesauce, sugar, cinnamon candies,and salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes. Be careful not to scorch.
- Sprinkle gelatin in the 1/2 cup of reserved applesauce and let dissolve for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir the gelatin/applesauce mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat 20 minutes. Stirring constantly.
- Pour into a greased 9X9 inch pan. Cover with cloth. Let stand overnight.
- Cut into squares or shapes with a cookie cutter and roll in powdered sugar.