- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
Apple Crisp Pie With Peanut Butter Recipe
Recipe for Apple Crisp Pie with Peanut Butter
My favorite flavors this time of year are apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and peanut butter. This apple crisp pie with peanut butter recipe is a family favorite! If you use a prepared pie shell, this recipe is about the same amount of work as a regular apple crisp. Its the perfect combination of apple pie, with the ease of a crisp.
Try this Apple Crisp Pie with Peanut Butter recipe for your next gathering or celebration.
Rate this Recipe
Ingredients for Apple Crisp Pie with Peanut Butter
- 1 pie shell, prepared (or homemade)
- 6 baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, dry
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash salt
- 1/4 cup butter, not softened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional
Step by Step Preparation of Apple Crisp Pie with Peanut ButterClick thumbnail to view full-size
Cook Time for Apple Crisp Pie with Peanut Butter
Instructions for Apple Crisp Pie with Peanut Butter
- Peel, core and slice 5-6 fresh, medium apples (in season). Set aside in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using a prepared pie crust, bring to room temperature, then gently place into 9-inch round pie pan. Glass works best. Press into the pan and pinch the edges at the top.
- Layer sliced apples on top of the crust, filling the pan generously.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add cold butter and cut into the other ingredients, combining well for the topping.
- Melt peanut butter in microwave oven for 30 seconds, or gently heat in a small saucepan over medium-low heat for 3 minutes
- Add peanut butter to topping mixture and stir well.
- Top the sliced apples with peanut butter topping mixture. Gently spread with a spatula to cover pie completely.
- Bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes, until crust is slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 20 minutes before serving.
Classic Apple Crisp Recipe
What Apples are Best for Baking?
There is a wide variety of apples from which to choose for baking.
Before reviewing the apples that are best for baking, be sure that - no matter what variety you choose - the apples are firm, crisp, without bruises or soft spots. Also, pick apples that are in season so you don't get mushy, mealy fruit.
I grew up in the Apple "capital" of the U.S.A. - Washington State. So, I know a good apple when I taste one.
Here are my recommendations for use in pies, cobblers, sauces and other baked goods:
- Honeycrisp (I used this variety in the apple crisp pie recipe in this hub)
- Golden Delicious
- Granny Smith - tart, so best used in combination with other apples
Serving Suggestions and Recipe Alternatives for Apple Crisp Pie
My family loves this dessert while it is still warm from the oven. Allow the pie to cool approximately 20-30 minutes, then slice and enjoy! Much like an apple crisp, the pie may not "stay together" as a typical apple pie. However, the taste more than makes up for any deficiencies in presentation.
Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or to the top and your Apple Crisp Pie with Peanut Butter will be heavenly. For large gatherings of 10 or more, I suggest you bake at least two pies so that some guests can have more than one piece. whipped cream
I have always made this recipe with "healthy" peanut butter, rather than the store versions that have a lot of added sugar. It results in a nuttier, slightly less sweet flavor. My kids have suggested that we try using chunky peanut butter, rather than smooth. Alternatively, you could sprinkle 2 tablespoons of coarsely chopped peanuts over the top before baking.
This recipe could also be made as a regular apple crisp, without the pie shell. Simply prepare by layering the sliced apples in an 8-inch square , then cover with the topping and bake as instructed. glass baking dish
If you are allergic to peanut butter, try almond butter or walnut butter instead.