- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques»
Apple Oatmeal Muffin Recipe
How would you rate this Apple Oatmeal Muffin recipe?
Apples, the Fruit of Autumn
The days begin to get shorter, the nights are a little cooler. This is one of the sure signs that fall is quickly approaching. In addition to the longer nights, the other tell tale sign of fall for me is the arrival of apples. There are many varieties of apples that come into season anywhere between late summer and well into the fall. One of the things that I adore most about apples are their versatility. One can enjoy them in so many ways: eating them fresh off the tree, in pies, make applesauce, muffins, breads, cookies, and more. So if you have an abundance of apples at your disposal, here is a great muffin recipe to help you use them up. Not only is this recipe tasty, it is on the healthier side too!
Ingredients for Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of applesauce (I used this in place of oil, but you can use a vegetable oil instead)
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup of quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (We like to use lots of cinnamon in our recipes, you can cut this back if you don't care for it as much.)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of grated apples (this is about 3 small apples that have been peeled and cored)
*Fruit Muffin or Bread Tip
When you are making fruit bread or muffins, add your fruit to the dry ingredients and gently mix. This will allow the fruit to be distributed evenly throughout the muffin or bread rather than sink to the bottom.
Pictures of Making Apple Oatmeal MuffinsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Directions for Making Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Mix eggs, milk, applesauce (or oil), and sugar in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, oats, cinnamon, and salt. *Then add the grated apples and mix so that the dry ingredients cover the apples.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine until all ingredients are wet. Be sure not to over mix your batter or your muffins will be tough. Remember that the batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Line your muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick spray. Then fill the cups about 2/3 full.
- Turn the oven down to 400 degrees F. Place muffins in the oven for about 18-20 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool for about 5-7 minutes before serving. They are delicious warm with a pat of butter or even with a little cinnamon butter!
Makes about 18 muffins.
Other Great Apple Recipe Hubs
A is for Apples This great hub gives you a list of common varieties of apples along with a delicious apple avocado salsa recipe.
How to Make Applesauce Ever think about making your own applesauce? It's actually quite easy and so much tastier than store bought applesauce.
Easy Dessert Recipes: Awesome Apple Caramel Rings Looking for an easy dessert to wow your family or guests? This simple apple caramel recipe is sure to do the trick!