- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Apple Rice Recipe - The Story Continues...
I did publish a hub on Apple Pickle and the story behind it. While I was getting ready to prepare the pickle, I did remember the Mango Rice that I have always relished, and thought that Apple rice would be equally tasty and reserved an apple to try out this recipe. And truly it did turn out really tasty.
I am sharing here the recipe for Apple Rice with step by step instructions and as many pictures as I could to make cooking easier. And above all, this recipe takes only a few minutes, if you have the boiled rice ready in hand. I always prepare the ingredients side by side while cooking, and hence it saves me a lot of time. I am sure with experience, many people cook this way.
Enjoy this recipe and please do not forget to drop a word or two if you liked it, or if you thought something could have been added to make it even better.
- 1 Green Apple (sour), Grated
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil, For seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds, For seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds, For seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds, For seasoning
- 1 sprig Curry leaves, For seasoning
- A pinch Asafoetida powder, For seasoning
- A pinch Turmeric powder, Optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Small green chili, Chopped
- Boiled rice 2 cups
- Chop onions and green chilies finely. Have boiled rice ready, the rice have to be separate and not sticky. Grate apple just before you add them to fire.
- In a pan heat oil (you can also use sesame oil) and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds have spluttered, quickly add the curry leaves (fresh ones), and then chopped onions and green chilies. Also add asafoetida powder to this mixture while sauteing. P.S: I used dry curry leaves and I worked with the ingredients that I had at home.
- When onion changes colour add the grated apple and mix well. Then add a pinch of turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt, and cook this mixture for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now add the boiled rice to the cooked mixture and mix all well and leave this on fire for another 3 minutes, till the rice warms through and all the ingredients get coated well on the rice.
- Serve while warm.
This recipe is an easy one to carry for lunch and picnics. This can be served with any side dish of your choice. I have many favourite side dishes that I have with this recipe like thick green chili and coconut chutney or scrambled eggs or fried fish. You can have anything you think will go well with this recipe. Basically it tastes good with anything.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe and please do share your experiences or comments with me.