- Food and Cooking
Armenian Traditional Christmas Recipe - Anushabur or Anushapur
Christmas Dish - Anushabur
Anushabur is a dessert, which always has to be on Christmas or/and New Year's Eve Table. It is said that Armenian people are making Anushabur to honour the Story Of Noah's Ark, because this dish represents the origins of nation. The Armenians believe that they are the descendants of Noah himself.
As we all know Noah's Ark has landed on the mountain Ararat. One of Noah's sons settled down on the valley in front of the mountain. The valley was and is a part of Armenia even now. So Armenians claim that their nation comes directly from him.
- Prep time: 12 hours
- Cook time: 5 hours
- Ready in: 17 hours
- Yields: 6-10 portions
Vote for Anushabur
- 1 kg husked wheat
- 750 gr sugar
- 400 gr pruns
- 350 dried apricot
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup sesame
- 1.5 cup Almond
- one pomegranate, optional
- Serve the dessert either in a large bowl or in many small bowls.
- Before serving , garnish for the last time with the rest almond, sesame and pine nuts
- Soak the wheat for 12 hours within water.
- Replace the water and boil the wheat at a very low temperature for at least 4-5 hours, until it "opens".
- In meantime roast separately in the oven the almonds, the pine nuts and sesame seeds.
- Crush the almonds and cut into small pieces prunes and apricots.
- Half an hour before removing the wheat from the heat, add sugar and stir it well. Add the raisins, prunes and apricots.
- Once Anushabur is ready let it cool down for a half hour before serving.
Other Armenian Recipes
- Flat Bread Recipe - Traditional Armenian Lavash
Recipe that I have prepared today is Authentic Traditional Flatbread Recipe of Armenia. If you are familiar how Lavash is being baked , you will be pleased with my home baking method. Check this out.
- Armenian Recipe - Traditional Gata
Traditional Armenian Recipe of delicious dessert called GATA. It has been prepared for many centuries especially for Weddings. This sweet pastry is associated with happiness and prosperity. Enjoy
- Khashlama - Armenian Food Recipe
Bellow you can find an authentic armenian recipe of the dish called Khashlama. The dish has been prepared by Armenians for centuries, since the Arch of Noah reached the mountain Ararat. EASY AND TASTY
- Armenian recipe - Lahmacun
Armenian Lahmacun Recipe. Armenians are well known for their talent in crafting jewellery. This easy recipe will travel you into the ancient Armenia where traditional cuisine touches perfection....
- Armenian Recipe - Tahini ROLL
This recipe of Tahini Roll or Bread comes directly from famous ancient Armenian Cuisine. It was cooked in Constantinople (Istanbul) long before Armenian Genocide. It is easy to deliver... Try it