Armenian recipe - Lahmacun or Lahmajo
National recipe - Lahmajun
This specific dish, Lahmacun or Lahmajun or Lahmayun is well known among Armenian People for centuries. Unfortunately today Lahmacun is being claimed as Turkish dish. Generally during the past centuries Turkish people are placing a tag " Made in Turkey" on many things, starting from famous Greek Orthodox Church " Agia Sofia " in Constantinople (renamed into Istanbul) and ending with small things as Armenian Recipes.
It is sad, because each culture has its own traditions, recipes, music and names. But I see such behaviour not only being practiced by Turkey but also by other nations as well. (FYROM now is called Macedonia) I bet in 20-30 years they will claim that Alexander The Great was not Greek. Living on today's territory that was called Macedonia in ancient centuries doesn't make those who are living there now, Greek Macedonians as was Alexander the Great.
Anyway... Here is the Recipe... Enjoy
Cast Your Vote
Ingredients for filling
- 1kg mince (not lean)
- 1kg onions chopped
- parsley, salt, black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 200 grams of chopped tomato sauce (can be found in any store)
Ingredients for Dough
- 1kg flour, for all purposes
- 2 portions of dry Yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5-2 cups of warm milk, It depends on the quality of flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
Instructions in making Lahmacun
- Place flour into plastic bowl and add yeast, sugar and salt.
- Add butter, warm milk and start kneading the dough.
- Once dough is ready leave it to double in size for an hour.
- Cut the dough into 35 equal portions and let each dough ball to "rest" for 30 minutes.
- Shape each dough ball into tortilla (flat bread) like form. ( as shown in the picture)
- FILLING: Mix all the ingredients of the filling
- Apply butter on each piece of dough and add small portion of filling.
- Bake them in oven at 250 C until ready.
- Creating steam in oven will make flatbread softer (Optional)
- You can apply on dough instead of butter the extra virgin olive oil (Optional) and then add the filling
- Melting butter in warm milk before adding the flour will make the dough tenderer.
- Kneading the dough every 40 minutes will make the dough and flat-bread softer.
- Lahmacun can be consumed with yogurt.
Nutrition facts - Lahmacun - Lahmajun
|Serving size: 1 portion = 365gr|
|Calories from Fat||171|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 19 g||29%|
|Saturated fat 10 g||50%|
|Carbohydrates 63 g||21%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 36 g||72%|
|Cholesterol 93 mg||31%|
|Sodium 874 mg||36%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Other Armenian Recipes
- How To Remove Evil Eye - What is Evil Eye
Removing Evil Eye has been done for many centuries. Evil Eye is actually a curse that must be cured immediately to avoid health problems. Find out how to Cure Evil Eye and Get Rid of it today.
- Flat Bread Recipe - Traditional Armenian Lavash
Recipe that I have prepared today is Authentic Traditional Flatbread Recipe of Armenia. If you are familiar how Lavash is being baked , you will be pleased with my home baking method. Check this out.
- Armenian Recipe - Traditional Gata
Traditional Armenian Recipe of delicious dessert called GATA. It has been prepared for many centuries especially for Weddings. This sweet pastry is associated with happiness and prosperity. Enjoy
- Armenian recipe - Bread Matnakash
This Armenian recipe for traditional bread called Matnakash. It was baked for many centuries by native Armenians. It is easy to bake in oven. You will be surprised how tasty and soft it is. Enjoy
- Armenian Recipe - Tahini ROLL
This recipe of Tahini Roll or Bread comes directly from famous ancient Armenian Cuisine. It was cooked in Constantinople (Istanbul) long before Armenian Genocide. It is easy to deliver... Try it