- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Arrowroot and Pork Leg Bone Soup Recipe
Arrowroot and Pork Leg Bone soup is one of the most common soups among Chinese. Arrowroot belongs to the group of "cold" food in Chinese. It is used as a way to help reduce the internal "heat" after eating "hot" food. Therefore, It is perfect to drink it after eating fried food to balance the internal qi. Arrowroot has its own special fresh smell and taste. It is high in fiber and it is digestible. Pork leg bone has a lot of calcium and the carrots bring vitamin A and sweetness to this soup. Whenever we have a BBQ or serve any "hot" food during a family reunion party, my mom would make this soup to help tone down the "heat" we get from eating grilled or fried food.
- 5 lbs Pork Leg Bone
- 1 - 2 lbs Arrowroot
- 1 lb Carrots
- 5 slices Ginger
- 10 -15 cups Water
How do you like Arrowroot and Pork Leg Bone Soup?
- Pour 5 cups of water in a large pot, bring the water to a boil and add in a pork leg bone then boil for a minute.
- Discard the hot water and rinse off the oil and scum from the pork leg bone. Return the bone into the pot and add in 10 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer for half hour.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the carrot and arrowroot, cut them into small chunks. Remove any visible oil and scums or suds from the surface of the soup with a mesh sieve. Add the carrot, arrowroot and ginger into the pot. Turn the heat to high until the soup is boiling again and then simmer for another 1.5 hour.
- Remove any visible oil and scum or suds from the soup's surface again before serving the soup.
- I like to serve this soup without adding any seasonings because of the delicious taste by itself. But you can add some salt if you want.
Pork Leg Meat with Honey BBQ Sauce
After the soup is done, the pork leg meat should be very tender. You can make a delicious meal with it by adding the sauce of your choice. We like to use honey BBQ sauce. Here is how:
- Remove the meat from the pork leg,
- Heat some honey BBQ sauce in a skillet,
- Stir in the pork leg meat, then turn off the heat,
- Serve with steam vegetable such as Yo Choy and steam rice.
The Best Part of Pork Leg Bone
When I shop for pork leg bone for making soup, I love the bone that is shaped like a fan with some meat attached to it. My mom always calls this type of bone "Fan Bone" because of it is thin and like a quarter of a circle. This type of bone is soft after an hour of cooking. We like to chew on it and suck the juices similar to the way we eat sugar cane. According to my mom, Chinese in the past would ate the soft part of the "Fan Bone" for protein and calcium when there were not enough food to eat.
Usually you will find pork leg bone bagged in a small pack mixing "Fan Bone" with other round shaped bone from a pork leg. Search for the pack that contains more "Fan Bone" with some meat attach to it so that you can make a meal out of the meat after you're done using it to make the soup.